Lufthansa grew 40% in Latin America during the last two years

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by jbcarioca, Dec 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is Varig missed at all by those living in/traveling to S America?

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of us really miss the old Varig GIG-LAX-NRT flights, if no others. FC on that flight was superb. I miss much of the rest too. Airlines such as EK, which has quite a few former RG captains, probably are quite happy RG died. To some extent JJ fulfills part of the old RG role, but JJ has far less international capacity. Post demise the largest capacity Brazil-US is AA 38%, Brazil-France is AF 75%, Brazil-UK is BA 69%, Brazil-Germany LH 60%, Brazil-Asia KE . All of those had RG leadership. Now conditions everywhere are different, but... these days our excitement comes mostly from EK, SQ and TK.

It is really odd to see that foreign carriers have all the best shares. When RG was at it's peak those shares wet reversed. Traffic is massively larger of course, and AF has 747's and 777's packed every day from both GRU and GIG, and BA, LH and others do that with much less capacity. RG, honestly, was a victim of political incompetence, and went as flag-carriers mostly have done, much as PA, TW, BN, SR, SB and many others combining bad management with national pride.:(

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't want to much weight on a few of the Latin American markets in the next 3 years. LX in particular though does have a very good product and excellent service to/from Brazil.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH is quite good too.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    In First I agree. The business product is not the best and has not been kept up-to-date for many years now (6 IIRC).

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Luckily, I would not know about your second sentence.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alas there are too many people like you keeping the F cabin oversold and thus not always available for purchase ;)

Seriously- the GRU flight on LX has excellent timing and wonderful service- good way to collect PJs for guests staying at your house as well (I have had more than one ask me what brand "Swiss First" is).

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously, I am an addict of Swiss. I even had more than 6 million miles on SR when it was brought low by the real estate speculation of the parent. I still like Swiss, but I also like the FCT at FRA.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like even more the >90 minute connection time at ZRH and the 20:10/20:30 departure from VCE- I suppose it all depends where you are starting from. In any case- you are correct that Swiss is quite addictive unless one swings to the evil axis of the Middle East carriers and their "unfair" policies ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahem.... yes. Especially LAX-GRU.

Sweet Willie and jbcarioca like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I miss NRT-LAX-GIG but either was really special. KE is nice. RG F. Those formidable bacon rolls! I did not even think Kosher existed when they served them. I pretended they wer veggie and scarfed them up. Dom Perignon Rosé; Chateau Lafite... They made money on those routes too IIRC. When I lived in LA and worked often in Tokyo I always took RG. Pão de queijo, the real ones, not the junk purveyed by the foreign carriers. Ahem...indeed!:(