Lufthansa/Frankfurt Question

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Efilon87, Feb 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a *A award in First (I) on UA 737 from SFO to IAH, Business (I) class on LH A380 from IAH to FRA, and also in Business (I) class on LH A321 from FRA to ATH. I have a few questions:

1) When I land in IAH, which lounge is better, UA or LH?
    2) Since the last flight is only a two-cabin flight, and I am booked in the highest cabin for that flight, will I get access to the First Class lounge in FRA?
    3) After landing in FRA, will I have to reclaim my luggage before continuing on to ATH?

Thank you!

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. You are in business class on the departing flight. See http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Lounge-types-and-access for access rules.

No.

3. Yiannis K

Yiannis K Active Member

Status Points:
    I class is Business. O class is First.

You can only get access to the First Class lounge, if you are flying out from FRA on First Class.

4. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats what I thought, but my award confirmation has it as First (I).

5. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And which is going to have better service/food/seats/lounges in Business: LH A380 or LX A330?

6. Yiannis K

Yiannis K Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure LH A380 has old C class, but uncertain if LX A330 has the new C class.

I'd go with new one on LX!

7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought LX was done and fully refitted all their C cabins...am I wrong here?

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH also allows LH/LX F pax to use F lounges at FRA/MUC/ZRH upon arrival. But still not available to OP.

guberif likes this.
  9. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My flight isnt until the end of September, do you think LH will have refurbished their Business class by then?

10. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the LH Welcome (Arrivals) Lounge to the Business Lounges. It's open until 12:30 pm.

11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure about the lounge situation in IAH, but I don't think LH operates their own lounge, so it's either the UC or else LH has a contract lounge.
    You need to be departing in LH F, or if departing on a 2-class aircraft, you need to have arrived in LH F to access the LH First Class lounges or terminal at FRA.
    No, it should be checked through to ATH and you'll claim it there.
    I agree that the Welcome Lounge is quite nice. But to reach that lounge the passenger will have to leave the secure area of the airport. It's relatively hard to find. Basically if you go through the bag claim area and exit customs, head to the right and look for yellow LH signs.
    I don't think LH has begun retrofitting their A380's in C class, so it's all angled lie flat, and not that great. I think LX has a superior lie-flat seat and I believe they have completed their upgrades.

guberif, TRAVELSIG and Efilon87 like this.
  12. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Welcome Lounge is not that hard to find, especially if one uses your excellent directions.

If one has the time, it's certainly worth clearing immigration to visit.

13. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oy, well the only option is for me to fly SFO-JFK on UA and JFK-GVA-ATH on LX. I was reading a trip report on TOBB about LX. The poster stated that the flight wasnt long enough to relax and enjoy C class on LX, and that the second meal is a continental breakfast. The positive though is the lie flat seats. Going to keep my fingers crossed that LX opens up *A award availability from SFO-GVA since I would like a longer long-haul than 7 hours.

14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are correct- refit complete.

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are correct. LX hard and soft product are superior and ZRH is a much more comfortable airport to connect at than FRA.