Lufthansa Can't Build Enough Airport Lounges

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by sobore, Oct 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-16/lufthansa-cant-build-enough-airport-lounges

How many lounges does an airport need?

Lufthansa (DLAKY) appears intent on testing that question, opening its 15th lounge Tuesday at Frankfurt Airport. Yes, 15. Here’s a list of them all, minus the new 9,000-square-foot one.

The airport opened its 700 million-euro ($950 million) Pier A Plus terminal in October 2012, an expansion that’s expected to give Frankfurt an extra 5 million passengers annually. Lufthansa carries about 60 percent of the passenger traffic at Frankfurt. “Just try our lounges in Frankfurt and you will experience: they are very crowded,” Lufthansa spokesman Nils Haupt said via e-mail.

Read More: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-16/lufthansa-cant-build-enough-airport-lounges

2. rrgg
    Original Member

rrgg Silver Member

Status Points:
    It can take a very long time to get around FRA. I can see why they'd want to make it easy for premium customers to find a lounge.

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is that enough? I've left their lounge in FRA twice before because it was more crowded than the airport itself.

jbcarioca, NYCUA1K and TRAVELSIG like this.
  4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    not to mention security and immigration block off some parts of the terminal so need lounge near(ish) to your gate

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the LH lounges are great in FRA. The only lounges where I sometimes had trouble finding a seat were in the old A pier, the Tower Lounge and equivalent Schenghen lounges. But since the new A/Z lounges opened, there is always enough seating ... and showers ... and clean bathrooms ... and a great variety of food and newspapers and free wifi.

The restrictions on moving around the airport have also opened up quite a bit since you no longer have to reclear security as often. If you follow the signs, and have some idea of the airport layout, you can usually move efficiently now too although some of the walks can be long. E.g. sterile train between Z and B, sterile tunnel under A to B.

FRA also has hotels with great lounges (Sheraton and Hilton) and just 15 minutes into the city every 15 minutes on the train. It really makes for a good transit

Now I just wish the train machines would accept credit cards, e.g. for the daypass.

eponymous_coward and jbcarioca like this.
  6. ptahcha

ptahcha Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 15 lounge figure may be a bit misleading. For example, the lounge in the Z section is Senator lounge on the first floor, and business lounge on the second floor, but it's listed as 2 separate lounges even though they occupy the same space.

FlyingBear, jbcarioca and bigx0 like this.
  7. dream7
    Original Member

dream7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am Star Alliance Gold, flying business class on LH, connecting in Frankfurt. What is the best lounge I will be able to get into? Is the LH Business Lounge or the Senator Lounge?

8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When everyone qualifies for a lounge the terminal will be the new place to relax!

jbcarioca, WilliamQ and FlyingBear like this.
  9. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have access to the Senator lounge (as well as business lounge). There isn't a big difference between these, but SEN lounge is generally considered nicer. There are several of each type of lounge at FRA - look for the one closest to your departure gate in the same zone (ie schengen or non-schengen).

jbcarioca and WilliamQ like this.
  10. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    At busy times, they certainly reached parity in some cases! A couple more A380 routes in there and the balance will be tipped.

11. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes I think the balance is already tipped at some DL domestic lounges!, especially considering you can get a better drink for less money outside in the terminal than you can in the club.

12. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is now a new Business Lounge by gate A26 - and it's the former First Class Lounge, which has retained most of its cool amenities including the showers, business cubicles, dining room and bar! A gem if your flights departs from that end of the terminal. See http://airportbliss.com/places/lufthansa-business-lounge-fra-a26/ for details and pics.

kiwi, jbcarioca and estnet like this.
  13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    does the dining room retain a menu or is it just a place to sit and eat what is out on the buffet

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a buffet, of course :) But there's still a barista at the bar!

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    :cool: news, although like other former F lounges that have converted it will seem strange to be there without the extra special stuff.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    True,

I was a fan of the A26 First Class Lounge. I wonder how it actually feels now.
    Are your comments based on your own experience in the A26 lounge before and after? I hope so, but I fear it will now be quite crowded, which it rarely was as a First Class lounge.

On the other hand, the FCT and the equivalent FCL's are not offered by checkin staff, who invariably send FC passengers to the nearest First Class lounge, whether of the intercontinental standard or not. One must specify to the checkin staff if one does not already know. However A26 as a business class lounge must be the "cream of the crop"

kiwi likes this.
  17. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They need to do something about the Z gate lounges. So many A380 and 748i flights, there isn't a seat to be had at prime time in a 300-500 person lounge.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes - I've been there several times when it was a First Class lounge, and twice since the conversion. Keep in mind it's at the very far end of the terminal in a non-obvious location, so it doesn't draw crowds like the central lounges. Also seating is obviously denser to accommodate more users.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is what I'd hoped. It was, even in its former glory, fairly empty most of the time, and i preferred it to the FCT precisely because of that. It's very good to know that the semi-isolated but not inconvenient location continues to be an advantage for us. Thanks for clueing us in.