Lufthansa Business Class set to Debut in Berlin

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Feb 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It may look a little like this (courtesy of seatguru.com):

417645_10150577622113907_64564028906_9295128_510814386_n.jpg

THE OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE:

East Meadow, NY, February 23, 2012 After a three year hiatus, Lufthansa will once again be present with its own booth at the ITB international tourism fair in Berlin, occurring March 7 to 11. At its newly designed area in Hall 25, the airline will display its current business and leisure travel offerings, as well as new ground and in-flight products, to trade guests and the general public. Lufthansa’s latest seat offerings will also be on exhibit, including the new, highly-anticipated Business Class seat, which will be unveiled to the public for the very first time.

“Our participation in the world’s largest tourism fair not only reflects our strong commitment to Berlin, but also enables us to present a whole range of new products and service innovations for leisure and business travelers as well as for our tourism partners,” said Jens Bischof, member of the Lufthansa German Airlines Board. “With the opening of Berlin Brandenburg Willy Brandt Airport in June, we will dramatically increase the number of destinations we serve non-stop from the German capital to other countries in Europe and the Middle East from ten to 38. We are coupling this with a new pricing concept. From Berlin, we will fly our customers to dozens of European destinations for as little as 49 euros one-way.”

ITB Berlin is the leading trade show for the global travel industry. Lufthansa will be located at booth #: 25.156.

ducster and sobore like this.
  2. ohianjo
    Original Member

ohianjo Silver Member

Status Points:
    2-3-2 layout? Middle row could have outer seats facing towards the aisle and one seat facing straight forward. :confused: It is obviously a great step up from the current offering (understatement), but the seats don't look as nicely designed as LX in my opinion (colour scheme etc)

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  3. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully that's not it. That would have been great in the previous decade. Lack of privacy for solo travelers would keep me on LX, BA, US or CX depending on where I'm headed. Eventually even AA will have the same new CX/US style seating.

4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That doesn't look like an upgraded seat...just a new one.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never flown on LX, but I wonder why LH isn't standardizing across their various airlines. If the LX seat is great, just use that?

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Angled towards each other seems like a terrible idea without a substantial partition. I don't want to play footsie with my neighbor generally. (There are exceptions. ;) )

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I should have more pics from LH tomrw......

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is great, a bit dated, but just a bit. Still my preference I think compared to the new look. I think it designed that way to allow easier exit for the window pax if they want to get around the aisle pax. Thats the one big knock on UA's new C. You have to be a hurdler....

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes- a bit dated now. Implementation is supposed to take 5 years. So- when this project is completed in 2018- assuming no delays- how will the product look and feel vs. the competition?

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  10. FlyIce

FlyIce Silver Member

Status Points:
    J seat of Swiss are really good and extending them to LH would give some good harmnization of the "hard" product.

I still don't undestand the value of those seat and until we have clear pictures and detailed measures it's impossible to express a reasonable opinion.

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've posted candid photos earlier today of the new C class from the Berlin ITB show in a blog post if anyone is interested.

13. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    wouldnt have posted the pic if they weren't "it".....

14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does not look like a very exciting product. Super weird with people staring at each others feet.
    Too bad.

15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree that nothing was reinvented, but am happy that at least they refreshed the product. I wonder how the foot thing will look in real life. Hope to find out soon enough.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. We will *hopefully* be testing it out soon.

17. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I happened to be at ITB on Friday so I walked over to Hall 25 to see the LH stand, I do like the concept and it is an upgrade but Im still not convinced on the foot rest position. The pillow however is a huge improvement to the current LH C pillow.

Sean Colahan, autolycus and TRAVELSIG like this.
  18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks mundosurfer for the update. Regarding the positioning- do you end up with sufficient privacy versus the passenger who is next to you?

Sean Colahan likes this.
  19. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not bad because at shoulder level you are a good distance away, it would be great if they can somehow install divider though. At the full sleeping position the privacy is more than enough.

Sean Colahan and TRAVELSIG like this.
  20. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you try to step/climb across a full-reclined seat, as if you were the window trying to get to the bathroom? That, to me, is the biggest problem with a lot of the full-flat configurations.

Sean Colahan and southender like this.
  21. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    No I did not think of trying that since they were set up with aisles on both sides. That is a huge issue on UA/CO flights so I try and always select an aisle seat.

Sean Colahan and autolycus like this.
  22. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clearly that's ideal. I'll always be with my wife, so the window pair would be a valid option if getting over the other one isn't too ridiculous a hurdle. Not that I'll be flying Lufthansa any time soon, considering I live in ATL, but it's good to keep all my options in mind. :)

And beyond just the passenger comfort aspect, I'm also fascinated by the design and engineering side of it all.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  23. FlyIce

FlyIce Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard so many bad comments, even before that the seat was known, that at the end the product is not disappointing.
    The seats are in pairs and there's the issue of getting from window seat to the aisle but are open and not claustrophibic.

I still can't express a sound opnion without ride; I believe that LX seats are quite good and I want so see if those are better or at least on a par.
    I see this more as an evolution rather than a revolution, so in pure LH style.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  24. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    agree; this is what keeps me attached to herringbone J configs- LX (barely) makes the cut with the 'single' throne seat. unbelievably bad decision for LH...
    to the poster saying 'try it then complain'- I don't need to try to vault/be vaulted in J to know I am going to hate it- that is why Y was invented, no?

Sean Colahan likes this.
  25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am very happy with the LX seats actually. My only complaint is that they could be a bit softer, however I guess that is what First is for.

Lufthansa Flyer and Sean Colahan like this.