Lufthansa Business Class and Air Canada YYC-YVR-SEA-FRA-WRO

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by kokinos, Apr 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kokinos

kokinos Silver Member

Status Points:
    It’s been a few years since my last visit to see my family in Poland and I was looking forward to seeing my new nephew so I decided to look for flights. With enough Aeroplan miles I started checking my options.​
    Last summer when I made this reservation an Aeroplan business class seat cost 80,000 points, now it’s 90,000. Keep in mind you get a stopover while in Europe so you are able to have 2 destinations. It’s a fairly good use of points.​
    There were a few options from Calgary to Wroclaw and back in Executive First on Air Canada but since Air Canada has some of the highest fuel surcharges this would cost around $625 in fees. So I looked into flights departing from Seattle to avoid this charge and found a nice routing with Lufthansa on the way there and Air Canada on the way back.​
    This worked out to only $165 in fees because I was flying out of the US and not Canada. Even though I had a major segment on Air Canada and was flying back into Calgary because the ticket starts in the US, rules and charges are completely different.​
    Departing from Seattle adds on an extra segment but I used 500 Airmiles to fly there. I also chose to fly to Vancouver first and then Seattle. If I took a direct flight from Calgary the connection time was too tight. But once again, I used Airmiles to fly there so it was no big deal. I can sometimes get 500 Airmiles at Safeway in one visit while spending around $120 on groceries.​
    In total, I spent $243 to fly to Europe in business class. For comparison sake I checked into what this exact same itinerary would cost me and it worked out to over $11,000.​
    Pictures with the rest of the report can be found here:​
    Please continue discussion in this thread.​
    Hope you enjoy it.​

violist and Bonnie like this.