Lufthansa 744 or 333 (new business class)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Flyerdad, Feb 27, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Flyerdad

Flyerdad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello MPers. I am traveling to Italy this summer with my son. We have a choice between Toronto and either Munich or Frankfurt (and then on to Rome) in Lufthansa business class. The YYZ-MUC segment is on a 330-300 and the YYZ-FRA segment is a 747-400. Is one preferable to the other? Or should we just go by whichever is the more convenient connection. I believe (not 100%) both are the new business class. Thanks for any insights or opinions.

2. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always use seatguru for these questions. It's not 100% but I find their information to be pretty reliable. Lufthansa only has one daily, non-stop flight from YYZ-MUC (LH495) and YYZ-FRA (LH471). Both appear to be operated with the new business class seats. On the YYZ-MUC route with the A333, you can tell it's the new business class because it's missing the middle seats in row 27. On the YYZ-FRA route on the 744, you can tell it's the new business class because economy seats start at row 28 (as opposed to row 32 with the old business seats).

I personally would route through FRA. There is a fantastic Arrivals Lounge for you to use as a business class passenger. It's located in the baggage claim area so make sure to leave plenty of time for your connection as you have to clear security again for your connecting flight to Rome. There is no fancy Arrivals Lounge in MUC. You have to use the business class lounge which is just standard. Hope this information helped. Enjoy. :)

3. Flyerdad

Flyerdad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Dozer, I appreciate all the good info.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot disagree more.

I'd take the 333 over the 744 and the MUC connection over FRA independent of each other. With both leaning towards MUC I think it is a no-brainer.

FRA is less convenient for connecting and the Welcome Lounge isn't really all that much different/better than the Business lounges in terms of amenities or benefits. Yes, the Welcome Lounge has a lot more showers but otherwise there isn't all that much different once inside.

And given that the 744 could swap back to old C more easily than the 330 out of MUC I'd take the sure thing on the seat.

boondr likes this.
  5. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    No prob. Happy to help a fellow reader. Seth does have some good points though. He has much more experience than I do and I trust his advice. It's true FRA is a lot crazier than MUN but if you have some time to kill, I really enjoyed the Arrivals lounge. And equipment changes are to be expected. With more 744's still configured with the old business class seats, you have a much higher chance of an equipment change to an old business class seat than you do with the A333. There are more A333's configured with the new business class seats.

Whichever you chose, I hope you get to experience the new business class seats. It's not revolutionary by any means by 10 times better than the old seats. Enjoy!

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, MUC means a slightly longer flight to sleep on the redeye and less time in Eurobiz for the onward connection.

7. Laura Zanini

Laura Zanini Active Member

Status Points:
    Dear Flyerdad, as usual everything is depending on our own point of view: personally I always prefer Frankfurt, but Munich has a good level too. If you would like to have a walk around the airport, I would suggest Frankfurt (many more shops). Enjoy your visiting Europe/Rome... :)

Dozer likes this.
  8. Flyerdad

Flyerdad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both--guess I'll go for the more convenient connection. Seth--I always use your travel tools for alerts. Kind of exciting that you posted!