Lufthansa 1st Class Award Routing

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Mikus33, Sep 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm based in DOH, and am trying to come up with the best way to access the FCT in FRA as well as fly LH's new first class (a seat and a bed? That's absolutely ridiculous). I've also always wanted to fly upstairs on a 747, so this will knock 3 things off the bucket list on one 'simple' trip.

I was looking at routings today and I found one that I really like: DOH-FRA-DEL. it gets me on a 748 (is that the correct abbreviation?), its only 65k miles one way, and I'd get to visit the Taj Mahal. The only thing is its a completely out of the way routing. From just a few searches on United though, it actually would be quicker than the options United came up with (the DOH-FRA-DEL routing did not come up as an option).

Any chance this routing is legal and/or Unjted would go for it? I can certainly call and ask when I'm looking to book, but if anyone has any knowledge of something like this I'd love to hear it.

If anyone has any other ideas for a good way to hit up the new LH 1st cheaply out of DOH and see something interesting (non US), let me know. Thanks.

2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heads up, the 747-800 (748) has the new product with first class downstairs and the seat converts in to a bed. You're looking for an updated 747-400 (744) which has first class upstairs and a seat and a bed.

3. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much. I might need to rethink my plan then. The idea of getting both a seat and a bed just seems so ridiculous that I feel like I must fly it. Plus, the 'upstairs' part just seems so cool to me for some reason.

Out of curiosity, if I wanted to do the 748 route, do you think United would book it?

If you've got ideas on good 744 routes, let me know. Honestly the end location isn't too important as I'm sure I'll find something I'd like to do there, wherever there may be.

Mirror74 likes this.
  4. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lh does not release F award space to partners until 15 days before the flight, and it is not guaranteed that they will release some space even then... you should use Expert Flyer to find and predict empty F flights... It seem that your routing is not valid, so maybe you should re-think your final destination... (may I suggest IAD, which also has 747-8 service)...

Mikus33 likes this.
  5. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the 15 day thing actually works to my advantage as I don't want to try to plan a year ahead of time like some 1st class seats require. I knew I'd have to start trying to predict a availability. From reading some posts from One Mile at a Time and Miles, Points, and Martinis, I think I said that was a 'medium' difficulty route.

Ideally, I'd like to visit somewhere outside of the States, and I'd like to fly a 744 for the separate seat and bed. It's asking a lot, but if I have no set destination and no set time frame, I'm hoping its a possibility.

If you or anyone knows what routes the 744 flies, that would be quite helpful as I can start trying to predict availability.

Mirror74 likes this.
  6. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great 747-400 (with separate bed, yes) F award (this is actually O class) availability would be FRA-KIX (Osaka, Japan)...

Mikus33 likes this.
  7. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That actually was my plan prior to finding the India route and not realizing the difference between the 744 and 748. The only annoying thing about that is its 85k one way I think. It might be the winner though. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to decide how much how much I value flying upstairs and with the separate bed. I have always wanted to visit Japan though...

Mirror74 likes this.
  8. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Found this on random UA check for 23rd October 2013... it seems it can be routed through FRA, and its 87500 miles in F... and available in LH F (but I suspect this might be notorious phantom availability...)...

Mikus33 likes this.
  9. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering the same thing. I've looked as far as Aug 2014 and have seen availability in F on LH through FRA... haven't actually gone to book it but I do wonder if it is truly there or not.

Mikus33 likes this.
  10. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gotta be phantom, but if you try to book and it works be sure to let us know.

11. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it is more than T-15, it is phantom. You can double-check using the ANA search tool, but I think you'll be disappointed.

boondr, adambadam and Mikus33 like this.
  12. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points: