LSASS.EXE Error

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by misman, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    In searching the interwebs, it is difficult to get an answer to solve this error other than "reinstall windows". Has anyone had any luck in resolving this error without reinstalling windows?

A little background... my work PC runs Windows XP, and has been intermittently showing this error during boot for the past 2+ years. It doesn't seem to be critical, just an annoyance, because I have to manually shut the machine down, and bring it back up. Since it is intermittent, it never happens when PC support is around, and, since it occurs during boot up, you can't print the screen.

Thoughts and input appreciated.

BobL

2. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, here is an answer that is not "re-install windows:" -- buy a Mac [​IMG]

I had a startup error on a laptop a long time ago and I ended up taking a photograph of the screen. It wasn't a picture that would hang in gallery, but it worked well enough for somebody to help me diagnose the problem.

And I assume you've run an Anti-Virus scan recently? The "Sasser" worm targets LSASS.exe , IIRC. If you haven't recently, run a manual scan and watch it to make sure it is actually running (mal-ware often targets your Anti-Virus software, with varying effect)

3. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    one problem as stated in my OP... work computer. No control over the OS. The virus software is installed and runs who-knows-when (it's a secret) [​IMG]

FWIW... I never had this problem on any of my personal windows PCs

4. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let your IT peeps handle it, then?

misman likes this.
  5. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ha! They're a joke. All based in India and I have never been successful with them fixing anything. The local guys can't do much better... except reinstall windows.

I've become rather self-sufficient because I care if it works, but this one is just bugging the heck out of me.

6. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, how about Service Pack 3 then? If you haven't installed that update, then doing so might fix the issue.

Also, make sure you've run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830

misman likes this.
  7. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good thoughts. Thanks.

8. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    So can you post the exact error? Sadly for you LSASS is a critical process - it's the security subsystem in Windows, in a nutshell. Without it you're not going anywhere. IME on a client machine, the usual culprit with an LSA crash is some sort of malware.

9. Misman, adexpert is right, an lsass.exe error is typically Malware. Have you tried a system wide search including hidden files and folders for lsass.exe. The legit lsass.exe resides in C:\Windows\System32, any other location and it's Malware. You can use ProcessExplorer (free from MSFT) to see the path of an executable/process.

10. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need some level of control. I would immediately load Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SpyBot Defender on a CD, reboot to safe mode and run those suckers. Can take a couple hours depending on the machine speed, number of files, etc. May or may not help but if you can't get that far since it's a work machine I'd just go for a reimage of the system.

11. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all of the replies, team. I'm restricted from doing almost everything you suggested (and I've tried,) so the re-image is my only option (oy!) The good news is... I'm do for a laptop replacement in a few months, so they'll just give me a new one instead of re-imaging this one!

12. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're getting messages that you're restricted from installing anti-virus software, you probably have a very bad virus. It took me many hours to get it off my girlfriend's PC. I'd reimage.

QL

13. nkedel
    Original Member

nkedel Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can boot off CD or USB stick, get a CD-bootable antivirus program - no installation needed, and these will catch some forms of malware that a scanner inside the system won't.

That said, replacement (ideally) or re-image (failing that) are your best bets, especially on XP. Is there any chance you'll get an updated version of Windows at the same time? Vista and Windows 7 are much less prone to weird system corruption than XP was.