LRM Shanghai (China) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a large modern hotel in a wonderful location, at the corner of People's Park and the top of the main shopping street with big department stores. Several subway lines intersect here. The carriage entrance and taxi drop off point is on a side street (which can be blocked by traffic). The hotel website has instructions in both English and Chinese under the "map and location" area for how to reach the hotel.

The lobby areas seem bustling and it is not immediately obvious how to reach the front desk, which is on level six with several restaurants. Elevators follow a zone system, so that to go from your room to the lounge or the pool, it is probably necessary to go to the lobby level and transfer elevators. The hotel is a tall building with walls that curve inward, so that high floors are significantly smaller than the lower floors.

As a Plat, I received a corner, almost triangular-shaped executive junior suite. It had an entrance hall, a dressing room/closet with a window, and a large room with a desk and separate sitting area. I had views of both the Bund and People's Park. The bathroom had a large tub with views through a huge window. There was a separate rain shower. There was also a window with blind in a wall separating the bathroom from the sitting room. It sounds strange, but I liked the design and views.

The lounge has good views and a very high ceiling that emphasizes the curved in walls in the building. The morning breakfast buffer has a variety of Western and Asian items, plus a station for eggs made to order. In the evening, the lounge serves free drinks and appetizers. Again, there is a large selection, but I thought it was more quantity than quality. The lounge is strict about ending times. The lounge has several (free) computers with internet access in private cubicles. It seems possible to ask for complimentary coffee and tea throughout the day.

sendaiben, jbcarioca and lili like this.
  2. onebagtraveller
    Original Member

onebagtraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Le Royal Meridien Shanghai - some pictures to go along with the great review above

LRM-1.jpg LRM-1b.jpg

LRM-2.jpg LRM-3.jpg

LRM-5.jpg
    LRM-4.jpg

Different room:

LRM-6.jpg

Club Lounge:
    LRM-7.jpg

From my secret admirer?
    LRM-8.jpg

3. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great photos! Thanks for bringing back great memories! We stayed at LRM 2 years ago and loved it! We thought the service, especially at the Club Floor Lounge was exceptional!

jbcarioca and MSPeconomist like this.
  4. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a great stay there two years ago---and opted to take breakfast at the restaurant buffet once or twice. It was fantastic, and a great option. The club is very nice, but the downstairs breakfast was even better.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had great stays at this hotel- however I prefer the JW which is about 500m away, as to me the rooms are nicer, and better service (YMMV).

6. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    A nitpick here - could a mod please correct the spelling in the title of this thread?

Thanks!

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry and thank you. I just reported it, asking that someone at the House of Miles fix it. (We can't edit thread titles.)

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Staying here at the moment, sipping a beer and watching the light show across the river, substantially upgraded in recent weeks with large screens on the Aurora and a couple of other buildings. Have always received a junior suite here, always overlooking People's Park. Quite convenient as it is on the Green #2 metro line direct to/from PVG for 7 Rmb. About an hour's ride and a quick change of trains across the platform midway between the airport and the city. (Same metro line from the the other airport and the new High Speed Rail station.)

jbcarioca and milchap like this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all these comments and the photos. I have never stayed there but am considering it for a trip coming up. This helps me make up my mind.:)

10. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I opted for it over the hyatts, and was very happy. Being near the subway was wonderful, and there's so much to see right outside the doors. I think I did cash and points, and had a status upgrade.

11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recommend it highly for any first-timer to Shanghai given the location in the heart of the city and on the two major metro lines that can get you to most tourist attractions. You can also take the Maglev -- a must for your first time in this city -- and either the same Green line metro to Peoples Park station, or get a cab for the rest of your journey.

12. badah

badah Active Member

Status Points:
    I'll echo the positive comments here, but will flag one negative -- WATCH OUT FOR THE DCC GOUGE which LRM Shanghai imposes when checking out and settling up by credit card (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...t-cc-rip-off-dynamic-currency-conversion.html ). I was in a hurry to make a flight, and didn't notice (until paying my credit card bill) that my yuan quoted rate was converted and charged in dollars at a 6.2 rate rather than the going 6.5. Quite annoying when I was using my Cap One card rather than SPG Amex to avoid FX charges -- don't know why I assumed LRM was above that scam, when I knew about it in advance.

TRAVELSIG and MSPeconomist like this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. I just gave you your first like for your first post.

14. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here early this month and liked it too despite no Platinum room upgrade.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where you a SPG Plat? If so, I'm surprised that you didn't get an upgrade. I understand that upgrades to the junior suite are extremely common here. However, otherwise there are many room categories based partly on how high the floor is, so that you should at least have gotten that. I certainly hope that they offered lounge access, even though transferring elevators with their zone system is a pain.

theskyflyer likes this.
  16. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should've clarified that I did not get an upgrade to a Junior Suite -- it was an upgrade to a Bund view room. When I checked on SPG.com, Junior Suites were available for sale for all the 3 nights I was staying, but I did not push the issue.

I agree that elevator transfer is a pain.

17. SST
    Original Member

SST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't consider it an "upgrade" to a Bund View room---- that's half the rooms. The suites at this hotel are very nice, and they DO constitute a great upgrade. I did request a room on the Bund side of the hotel, on two previous trips, but couldn't seem to get one. We DID, as Platinums, get suites however. No complaint. I do wonder what someone needs to do to get a suite upgrade on the Bund side, however...... Note: we found this to be a problem at Hongqiao, and 4P Pudong too. (Note: as far as I can tell, there's NEVER a real "Bund View". The Bund is obscured by buildings between you and it. What you do get (but only on the really high floors) is a partial view toward Pudong.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome badah. It is a good point to be careful in Asia wiht many hotels- the DCC scam is outrageous- I make a point of telling every hotel before I give them my credit card- "I will pay in local currency".

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I stayed here, I was given (without asking) a junior suite in one of the corners of the building that had a People's Park view on one side and the Bund view on the other side. I don't remember the room number, but it was at the top of the bank of elevators that does not go to the lounge. Part of the challenge at this property is that the floors become much smaller on high levels; most of their rooms are not extremely high.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  20. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've just stayed here. The location just off People's Square and the Nanjing Rd pedestrian mall is great, as are the views. It's close by the People's Square subway station on Lines 1, 2 & 8, and about 10-15 minutes to walk to the Bund. The lounge has great views of Pudong, as does the 789 Bar at the top, and you should be able to get a Bund-view room if you request it. The rooms are nicely appointed, and Platinum breakfast can be taken in the lounge or the lobby restaurant.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The location is great as long as you don't have to drive there on a regular basis before or after meetings/work/etc.
    For a leisure visitor I think the location is very good- for business I prefer to stay somewhere else as the congestion is not easy. I agree the 789 Bar and Lounge on the top has great views- about twice a month (usually on Thursday) they have a happy hour which is great fun and is normally packed with locals and is good fun.
    Enjoy Shanghai (and greetings from Guangzhou)!