Loyal hotel customers would give up spouse, keep loyalty program, if given choice

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sobore, Feb 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.gadling.com/2012/02/05/loyal-hotel-customers-would-give-up-spouse-keep-loyalty-program/

Relationships with hotel loyalty programs run deep, often causing members to lie, cheat or pose as someone else to get ahead says a new survey by Starwood Preferred Guest.

"Honeymoon"? "Emergency"? Respondents would try subterfuge to get upgrades and were not above telling little white lies to get a better hotel room or a hotel/airline travel upgrade" Starwood said in TravelAgent. Nearly half of respondents claimed they would pretend it was their honeymoon to get an upgrade. 25 percent would pretend they had a family emergency and 20 percent would pretend to be someone important.

http://www.gadling.com/2012/02/05/loyal-hotel-customers-would-give-up-spouse-keep-loyalty-program/

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing, sobore :)

tondoleo likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can I watch the Super Bowl with you? I just told my wife my choice and I now live in the garage, there is no TV in the garage. :p

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah sure just bring over some brews ;)

tondoleo, LETTERBOY and sobore like this.
  5. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny. On our honeymoon I emailed the hotels three to five days before check-in and told them that we were on our honeymoon and that we were wondering if they had any romantic rooms. At the Westin Rome they upgraded us (point stay from a SPG preferred plus account) to a room with a nice balcony on the fifth floor. At the Hilton in Venice (paid stay with a HHonors gold account) we ended up in a suite with a canal view. Not bad for a honeymoon.

Oh, and both hotels are really lovely and we totally recommend both of them.

6. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i'm at about an 80% upgrade rate for my past 5-10 stays with MR silver, HH Gold, and SPG Gold simply by being polite and personable. no reason to lie when you can get it by being honest

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spouses come and go, but free continental breakfast is forever. . .

tondoleo, mailbroad and sobore like this.
  8. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not surprising many would exaggerate need for upgrades. I was under the impression that SPG did keep track of things such anniversaries or other guest information things given to them.

With that said, hotel status over airline status? Really?? :confused: An average room in a hotel is far nicer than an average seat in the back of the plane (and that's before even getting into priority treatment for when things go wrong or fee discounts).

tondoleo likes this.
  9. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Add me to the group that is no surprised that peeps would tell fibs to get themselves something they want. Not sure why, we never do, actually we don't even normally ask for upgrades. We figure we get what we paid for and we can live with that. Unless of course we are allocated the crappiest room in the hotel then we will ask for something different.

2soonold, tondoleo, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  10. mailbroad

mailbroad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure I would do it...

tondoleo likes this.
  11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never asked for an upgrade at any hotel stay ever. I have never concentrated on any program in order to achieve status. Most of my stays are on awards with points gained primarily thru credit cards and various promos. Yet I have received upgraded rooms over half of the time.
    So, my strategy is simply to trust what is given to me.

2soonold, sobore, deant and 3 others like this.
  12. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I got upgraded on my 3rd, 19th, 27th and 45th honeymoon without any problem either.

j/k :)

jmrich1432 and sobore like this.
  13. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also never ask for an upgrade. Before I got involved with HHonors, most of my stays were based on lowest price and location. Now, I am more likely to choose a Hilton product. And, most likely I am going to find that Hilton product room to be nicer than what I was use to in the past. So, I have upgraded myself. It's the American way.:)

LETTERBOY likes this.