Lowest cost for achieving Platinum

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Charlotte Bound, Dec 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Charlotte Bound

Charlotte Bound Active Member

Status Points:
    Newbie looking for lowest cost alternative to achieve Platinum for the first time this year. Currently at 71,000 miles. No business travel planned through the end of the year. Are there any creative ways to get to the next level and what would the least expensive run/purchase be? Other PQM ideas? Charlotte based.

2. ghall3

ghall3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm no expert but I'm not sure the extra perks for platinum are worth it. I was in a similar situation last year and realize I wasn't going to need the perks so just stuck with gold. As far as I know gold gets you all of the *A perks, and I was already getting upgraded 90-95% of the time as gold (however, I don't fly to super high demand places). I would take a look at it and decide if you really think the platinum is worth it. Otherwise, price out a trip that will get you there (Web Flyer has a good resource for this) and see if that is cheaper than just buying up to preferred since you are so close.

Hope this helps.

daninstl likes this.
  3. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it'd be worth it for higher priority on upgrades.

How about 3k through the US Airways club sign up through Dec 14 (see below) and a quick shorthaul mileage run? Could probably find a cost effective one through ITA Matrix.

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/12/300...iles-and-two-free-months-for-club-membership/

daninstl likes this.
  4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    A run to the west coast would put you over. You can also buy the PQM's you need to platinum 9or even get to Chairmans if you want. The cost to get to Chairmans and the benefits you get with that 100% rdm bonus, highest priority upgrade, and the systemwide upgrades makes it well worth it in my option.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/buy-up-to-preferred.html

From your current 71000 it would cost $399 to get to platinum or $1499 to Chairmans.

5. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Buy Up is definitely more cost effective than what I proposed. Good call.