"Low Fare Guarantee" - Any experience with this?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by yaychemistry, May 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone ever use this feature?
    http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51216,00.html

The same ticket is available on cheaptickets.com for nearly $200 less than what's showing at .bomb. The .bomb ticket is showing as an H fare, whereas the cheaptickets.com is showing the outbound on an H fare, where cheaptickets.com is showing a W fare (though this is not visible from the screenshot). Both returns are L fares. Would this make a difference?

I should point out this is for travel on 6/3, which is 8 days from now... I'm not sure the exact fare rules for a W fare, but maybe .bomb and cheaptickets.com are interpreting the fare rules differently?

2. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    Interestingly .bomb's own low-fare calendar is showing prices that are the same as cheaptickets and orbitz L and W fares (e.g. low-fare calendar shows $298 for one date, and Cheaptickets.com has a ticket on the same date for $298 + $40taxes). However, .bomb won't show the actual flight to book. Do you think I could call in to book instead? I was hoping to apply an e-cert.

3. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    In that type scenario, usually you can call web support to find the fare and book it for you, using the ecert, without booking fees.

yaychemistry likes this.
  4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forgive my ignorance, but why the heck do you guys talk about ".bomb"? I'm assuming you're talking about United.com when you say ".bomb"...so why not just say "United.com"?

5. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    It's a habit I picked up from reading FT. To be honest, I'm not sure how it started, but with all of the bugs on the website it seemed like a fitting name.

6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let''s hope all the bad habits from FT don't end up on Milepoint.:)

7. yaychemistry

Status Points:
    Once the websites merge, I'm sure we can come up with a new nickname :)