Lounges in TYO

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Marty McFry, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Marty McFry
    Original Member

Marty McFry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope I post in the right forum.

I'm flying AA F to JFK-HND and NRT-LAX. Any idea which lounges I should definitely check out?

Thanks!

2. Marty McFry
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Cool.. also heard some good stuff about their curry. Anything else I should try out?

3. Personally, if flying in First, I'd try out switching from the AA flight to the JL flight NRT-LAX

Marty McFry likes this.
  4. Marty McFry
    Original Member

Status Points:
    WOW good thing you replied! I've been trying for the longest time to switch it out to JAL but it was never availble.. so I gave up. Today, I called AA and they said there was 1 seat available!

I immediately asked to switch it out.. and as if that wasn't good enough, they didn't charge me the $150 fee! I was told that they recently changed the rules and now there's no change fee for switching one world partners while keeping the origination and destination the same.

So big thanks to you TuesdayMass!

5. great news!

6. Plato90s
    Original Member

Plato90s Active Member

Status Points:
    Curry - nothing special.

Full body massage chairs are nice though, and no waiting the way there is for the 10 minute massage.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sorry but I must disagree, the curry is very good!

8. Plato90s
    Original Member

Plato90s Active Member

Status Points:
    I like curry to be either spicy or smooth.

That JAL lounge curry just seemed salty and rather bland on the tongue to me.

YMMV.

Still a far superior lounge to the Admiral's Club though.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Everyone has their preference I suppose [​IMG]

I grew up on Japanese curry and make my own Japanese style curry at home quite often. There are better versions out there, but I really do enjoy the JAL offering in NRT.

10. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The JAL lounge curry isn't the best, but it's pretty good - definitely hits the spot before your flight.

Their beer machines can be fun also.

11. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Were you flying on an award tickets?

12. Marty McFry
    Original Member

Status Points:
    yep!

13. Marty McFry
    Original Member

Status Points:
    i think i'll just try out the curry.. it's free anyway right?

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup. So's the whiskey [​IMG]

15. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Curried rice in Japan - well, it's generally among the fastest of fast food, "kari rais", and generally a yellowish-brownish sauce with chunks of beef on rice, definitely not a big deal. OTOH, the OP is now eligible to use the HND First Lounge (shares a reception desk with the Sakura Business Lounge via escalator near the Gate 112 area), which has a row of comfy lounge chair and ottoman combo by the window, the already named beer dispensing machine that tilts the glass to fill properly, four massage chairs in a room to the side, passable views of the tarmac, decent alcoholic beverages (even a couple of Japanese and Scottish single malts, Remy XO,) etc.

It's not the world's best lounge, bit it's not bad, either, and if one is Emerald but not flying JL, there is no access, unfortunately. (Flying JL F or JL as Emerald does gain access.)

Added later: Whoops, notice the OP is returning frmo NRT, so HND F Lounge is NOT an issue.

16. Marty McFry
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oooh so that means JAL's F lounge wouldn't be open to me if I were flying on AA F to LAX..

17. Plato90s
    Original Member

Plato90s Active Member

Status Points:
    Is that a change?

I went through NRT in Dec on a coach award and had no problems accessing the F lounge on the return side.

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've heard access was an issue at the new HND lounge, but not at NRT. Maybe JDiver meant HND? Or perhaps there is a new issue of JL denying Emeralds access if not booked on JL metal....?

OP is flying into HND so would most likely won't be using HND lounge facilities. The outbound is from NRT though.

JDiver likes this.
  19. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are now reports saying CX customers were told they can only access the HND Sakura lounge at check-in. But the JAL lounge agent direct them to the HND F lounge anyway. So something might have changed recently :)

20. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, from NRT accessing the JL F lounge should not be a problem, from other reports; it's HND outbound one would not have access to the JL F Lounge if departing on any other oneworld airline than JL. (I really should not reply before coffee...)

OTOH, JALPak, who's pretty knowledgeable on these issues, indicates things may have changed in the last 3~4 weeks and oneworld Emeralds MAY be admitted to Haneda's International JL First lounge - we'll have to wait for further reports.

JALPak likes this.
  21. JL's F lounge is the best of the three at NRT. Upstairs is best if open. Otherwise, one has to make do with the pour your own Macallan 18 year old scotch and the massage. :)

AA does have better showers at NRT than JL. That's about it.

CX NRT lounge not worth visiting, I'm embarrassed to say. Normally, CX can do no wrong lounge-wise, but the NRT CX lounge is a major disappointment.

22. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no upstairs F lounge anymore. They open a new one in the satellite building and close the upstairs F lounge

23. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    And interestingly the JAL F Lounge at HND International Terminal is no longer listed on OW website. Only Sakura Lounge is listed

HND International First Class Lounge no longer listed on OW website

24. That's very sad! :( I really liked the sushi up there + the quiet, peaceful atmosphere that was very conducive to napping.

techgirl likes this.
  25. bombayhog
    Original Member

bombayhog Active Member

Status Points:
    Went through HND last week flying CX F, and am OW Emerald. Was unaware of reports that JAL were denying entry to the F side of the lounge, so was surprised when the agent at desk told me I wasn't allowed to access. I assumed this was a mistake on her part, and insisted that as Emerald I should be allowed in, so she consulted with a colleague and they let me into the F side. It wasn't clear to me in the end whether she was mistaken, or whether they just made an exception for me because I was being difficult [​IMG]

JALPak likes this.