Lounges at GRU... use when flying domestic ??

Discussion in 'GRU/GIG/BSB | Brazil Regional Airports' started by Gaucho, Feb 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK.... so I had a GRU layover before connecting on TAM to Salvador, Bahia. The trip was a nightmare because TAM cancelled my connecting flight... but my question here is another one. Since my connection at GRU was a domestic flight, the airport staff told me that I could not use any of the lounges because I did not have an international boarding pass.... is this correct..? I have two cards that would have given me lounge access, an Amex and a PPass... but was not able to use them. I just want to make sure that the info they gave me at the airport was correct.

To read more about my horrible GRU experience because of the TAM flight cancellation, please see:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/tam-cancels-my-flight-last-minute.28215/

IDGflygirl and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Follow up question... on my return leg, I fly out of GRU to EZE and I assume I will be in the international departure gate area... I should therefore be able to access the United RCC, is this correct...?

Thanks,
    Alex / Gaucho

3. Jubilee777

Jubilee777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didnt see any lounge at the domestic side in GRU. Was looking for one coz I am Star Gold and flying TAM.

For international flights, yes u can access the lounges. United RCC lounge is at GRU T1. If u are checking in at T2, you should be able to cross the terminals via the lounge level (not sure as I have not tried).

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot figure out the bizarre rules at GRU. At GIG you consistently have access based on your eligibility, domestic or international, as long as the lounge is in your terminal area. I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but local research does not help because I find conflicting interpretations.

However, if the RCC lounge is open it seems to be quite consistent, assuming you really want to be in it, of course.

IDGflygirl and Gaucho like this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    To answer my own question, I could have used the RCC but my flight was at the wrong time.... tried to enter the club at 9AM and found it is closed until 1030am.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Priority Pass is absolutely supposed to be independent of the carrier or route you are flying. The only requirement is that your boarding pass or whatever most obviously allow you to physically get to the entrance to the lounge in terms of segregated security areas within the terminal, etc.

jbcarioca and Gaucho like this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.... would just add that the lounge you want to enter will also have to be open.... ;)

jbcarioca and MSPeconomist like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    And, if we're being technical, that your appearance is in agreement with any dress codes imposed by the lounge. I think there might even be a clause allowing the lounge to refuse you, or at least refuse your guests, if the lounge is too crowded.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm about to book a long weekend trip DCA-MIA-GRU-IGU. Funny thing is I'm going to stay at the Sheraton, and as an American I'll need a Brazilian Visa. Should probably fly into IGR instead, since I'm staying on the Argentinian side :) But hey (1) I can confirm the upgrades in/out of GRU at booking, and (2) I probably want to see the Falls from both sides anyway...

In any case here's my question, lounge access. I'm going to have a 5 hour layover on arrival in GRU. Clear immigration and whatnot, but it's still a long layover. I'm going to transfer to GOL for GRU-IGU. One cabin flight.

Is there any lounge access option?

AA EXP arriving in business and AA/GOL will still be partners but I have no reason to think the partnership involved any sort of lounge reciprocity.
    Amex Platinum
    Priority Pass
    Diners Club

... even Pay Per Use.

As I will certainly want a shower!

It's long enough of a layover that I could go shower landside if there's a reasonable option that way.

Sean Rey and jbcarioca like this.
  10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back once again to my old thread.... has anybody been at the Smiles VIP lounge at terminal 2...? Apparently its open 24 hours. Now, if I could only confirm that TAM operates out of Terminal 2 at GRU.....????

12. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am happy to ask a friend who is a pilot for TAM out of GRU. Will let you know if I hear back.

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've only been to the domestic SMILES VIP lounge which is landside and accessible via Priority Pass.

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  14. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is what I have found out so far. I asked if TAM operates out of Term 2 at GRU: "All departures are from Term 1, arrivals are mixed; some internationals do arrive at T2 as well. Here is the map: www.gru.com.br/en/guide/airport-map"

Gaucho likes this.
  15. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Landside... OK, so this may be an option for me... since I arrive to GRU on a domestic connection, depending on how long my actual wait is I could park the wife and kids there until we are ready to clear immigration and walk to the gate.

Do you remember if this lounge was closer to T1 or T2....?

Cheers,
    Alex

16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks !!!

17. Sean Rey

Sean Rey Member

Status Points:
    To anyone recently (November 2013) familiar with GRU airport and existing lounges. I will be flying internationally from the USA into T 2 and will have a six hour layover before I transfer to a domestic TAM flight out of T 1. I want to utilize a lounge while at GRU. I have a platinum AMEX so I can access the reported Centurion Lounge at GRU. I also have Priority Pass and a United Club membership. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

18. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    the international Smiles Lounge is a sad affair, not even remotely VIP

they give you some wifi code that requires an electrical engineer and a data programmer who speak Portuguese, good luck