Lounge use with a friend flying other alliance

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by FlyingBear, Nov 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello!

My co-worker and I are flying the same route, but on different alliances (*G for me, SkyTeam for him). We'd like to use the same lounge during our longish layover in Tokyo, but it appears that both sides requires the second person to be flying within the same alliance. Are the "gatekeepers" at the lounges ever lenient about that? If so, which ones are more lenient? Thanks.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    How are you accessing lounge? If one is a SC member, for instance, including as a DL DM, the guest can be anyone who is traveling that day with no requirement for a SkyTeam flight. Similarly, if access is via AmEx Plat or Priority Pass, the guest's travel details don't matter.

3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am accessing as StarAlliance Gold, he is accessing as Delta Platinum member.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're unlikely to get to be in the same lounge based on that. There's a decent chance you won't even be in the same terminal, depending on the route. I don't remember if all of terminal 1 is connected air-side or split but *A and ST carriers are in opposite wings of that terminal.

5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were in the same terminal, but as mebtioned, no one wanted us to be in at the same time. My guess is that United dis not want a Delta flyer to find out how little food they have available :)

And i remembered that i have two expiring club passes left at home

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    NRT Terminal 1 is connected airside but it's a long walk. The check in counters are at opposite ends and use different airport limo bus stops.

7. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had 5 hours to kill, so not much of an issue for me. Either way, both of us are keeping to our respective programs in the future. His allowed him access to a lounge with enough food and mine... well, hard to let go. :)