Lounge open 24 hours

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Juanefny, Nov 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never seen this posted anywhere before, so figured I'd start this discussion. Has anyone ever desired for at least one Admirals Club to be open 24 hours a day at major hubs? Even if overnight the club doesn't have bar or food service, it would be nicer to sleep at one of the chairs that they have at the D concourse AC than having to sleep on the terminal. This would come in handy during IRROPs and overnight layovers?
    Any thoughts on this? I think it would be a major benefit.

2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea. Heck, I'd like the smaller clubs to be open so when I have an evening flight in I can have a quick visit before leaving my destination airport for a hotel.

Counsellor and Juanefny like this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    24 hour lounges means staffing issues (plus when do you clean the lounge if it's open 24 hours like Denny's? Clean it when you have sleeping people?) and frankly airport club lounges are not dormitories or hotels. IRROPS where you need to actually house people can be handled by actual airport hotels.

If you really need to sleep in airports...

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/

Wandering Aramean and timfrost like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed,

If there are active flight operations then keep the lounges open. If not, skip it.

Though I did pull an all-nighter with a cat nap at the SQ lounge in SIN once for an early UA departure.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not to mention that sleeping guests adds up to more than just extra labor. There's liability as well.

eponymous_coward and flyforawg like this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh come on, do you really think they care what the customer wants? AA Clubs aren't even open 2 hours before first flight out, nor do thy stay open for delayed flights :(
    24 hours aside, they could really do better!

Counsellor likes this.
  7. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like it or not, people already sleep in them. So what's the difference between sleeping in them during the day or during the night?
    Out of ABQ you often have to have 7 - 8 hour layovers at DFW overnight and with flights getting delayed it does not make sense to book a hotel. A place for a cat nap at night would be nice. We are paying quite a bit of money a year after all.

8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    $450 a year is a pittance as far as an annual expense for hotels goes. That's something like 5 nights a year at a $90 a night hotel. Do you really expect $450 to cover the cost of running de facto dormitories, since you are proposing the club stay open 24/7/365?

I might note that DFW has not one, but TWO airport hotels attached (Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency). I imagine the airport might take a dim view of airport clubs deciding they need to "compete" for that business by offering free overnight stays to club members.

Lots of things would be "nice". Free lifetime flights in Emirates First would be "nice". Winning lottery tickets. I don't see that running airport clubs that are primarily meant for alternatives to waiting at gates during active flight operations as overnight crash pads for people who want don't want to pay for a room overnight is all that sensible for an airline, even if it's "nice", especially since the airport itself is just fine for people wanting to crash overnight, at no additional cost to the airline.

Incidentally...

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/usa/dallas.htm#lounge

"Dallas is very accommodating to airport sleepers. Ask any of the workers for a cot/blanket/pillow and they will provide you with them."

Sounds better than a makework lounge chair as a sleeping area in a lounge to me, and you can still use the showers in the club in the morning...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  9. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know there plenty of hotels nearby or even attached. I'm not about to spend $100 to sleep for four hours though. Just me...

10. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that AA isn't really interested in catering to the "I want to use my lounge membership as a way to get unlimited overnight dorm stays at an AA lounge for free" demographic when it comes to ways to enhance lounge services, because the staffing costs are real and the revenue gain is probably pretty minimal. Money talks, and people who aren't spending cash on hotels for their travel are probably trying to be cheap on the airfare side of things, too.

11. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that statement defines the airport lounge key demographic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eponymous_coward and flyforawg like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess AA isn't about to spend $XXX each night to keep the lounge open every night so you can sleep there every once in a while ;)

It would be nice if major airports had barcolounger style chairs in quiet areas for people like you (or sometimes me) to rest during extended layovers. I have seen them in FRA and LHR recently, but most US airports seem to go out of their way to make it difficult to sleep in their gate seating areas.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So the airports should spend that cash but not the airlines??

Juanefny likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

Wait. No, not that cash. They don't have to hire staff. I am talking about airports that are open anyway. Somehow LHR and FRA managed to buy some chairs that are comfortable for napping. I am sure it wouldn't break the bank if others did the same as part of their regular replacement program.

Counsellor likes this.
  15. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess you can call me cheap. I'm willing to pay for a hotel room if I have 7+ hours to sleep. But if I only have a handful of hours to sleep, I'd rather take a nap at the airport. The nice thing about the lounge is I wound not fear someone stealing my carry on lol

Counsellor likes this.
  16. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They shouldn't need to; as mentioned above, DFW will give you a cot/blanket/pillow on request.

17. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They could perhaps have a "sleep" lounge added and charge guests a fee(based on # of hours) to get in and they could cover the insurance liabilities that way and provide a added benefit. Many Airports in Asia (where I travel mostly) have a hourly sleep suites, on par with hotel rates cut into hours. Why pay for full 20 hours when you only need 5? Or Perhaps Airport hotels need to consider this business model?

As others have mentioned above, politics involved(other hotels) which might be a big headache for Lounge operators.

Juanefny likes this.
  18. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Generally USA airports aren't used for overnight transits the same way Asian ones are. For one thing, there's no concept of a sterile area where you've already gone through customs and immigration exit procedures from the USA, and everyone entering the USA at an airport has to go through entry to the USA- you can't "stay airside" the way you can at HKG/BKK/ICN/etc. and NOT formally enter the country you are transiting through.

So as such, one is free to go to a nearby airport hotel in a way one is possibly not in Asian markets (and it's also why the USA doesn't have a lot of good transit airports), and the market for this service isn't as broad as it would be elsewhere.

FWIW, my experience is that the rooms on offer near LAX/DFW/SFO/EWR can sometimes be pretty darned cheap; very often substantially less than $100 USD, and very price competitive with airside transit hotels I've seen in the aforementioned Asian airports.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    timfrost likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll have to try that next time I come through DFW with an extended layover. Wonder if I can bring my cot into the Centurion lounge :)

Counsellor likes this.
  20. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Turns out there is an additional hotel alternative at DFW:

http://minutesuites.com/locations/dfw-international-airport/

The pricing probably isn't what someone who wants to save money would want, though.

http://minutesuites.com/pricing/

Of course... the implication being that all this should be included for free in an AA club membership probably doesn't stand up given that someone's charging for it.

But anyways, there's free cots if ya want 'em, if you're pinching pennies, and this service AND two Hyatts attached to the airport if you're willing to spend a little more. Seems to me DFW is probably one of the BEST airports for sleeping in... without any AA club 24/7/365 access.

21. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh, and for your carryon: get some cable zipties. Use one to attach carryon to leg of cot while you are in cot. Carryon is secure at little to no cost. :)

Pizzaman likes this.
  22. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those are great facilities for short overnight layovers where getting to/from the hotel and dealing with security in the morning would cut sleep down too much.

While not penny pinching, the overnight rate really isn't bad.

I hope their business model works and we see them expand to more major airports.

23. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does one cut the zip tie after TSA confiscates anything remotely sharp?

(Yeah, ok, I guess maybe a toenail clipper if you happen to carry one of those.)

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Place a pen inside the loop. Spin it orthogonal to the loop, stretching the ziptie until it snaps.

timfrost and eponymous_coward like this.
  25. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your zip ties sure ain't like mine!

FriendlySkies likes this.