Lounge first, then custom?

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by NYC_Gal, Aug 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will have 10 hour layover in HKG. I plan to hit the lounge for a shower first and then leave HKG airport for lunch with friends. Is this doable? I prefer not to do the arrival lounge. I have transfer before in HKG, but I'm not sure how to get from the Wing/Pier lounge back through custom.

I know, kind of a stupid question.....

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a stupid question at all.

I did this once, and, though the system isn't set up for this, you will be able to, too.

When you arrive HKG, you need to follow the transfer pax and re-clear security, which will lead you to the departures area. It will be much easier if you have your connecting boarding pass. (I didn't, but they let me through ultimately.) Once you're in departures, visit the lounge of your choice.

I simply said at the lounge (once I had showered and eaten) that I wanted to leave the airport for a while. The dragon at first said it wasn't something I could do, but when she realized how long my connection was, she said I could. They gave me directions as to where to go to get to the immigration line. This was key as it isn't signed (you are in departures). it took me a few minutes, but I found my way to the immigration hall, joining the broader group of arriving pax.

One other thing to make sure of - at hong kong, the airlines "approve" your hand luggage. So, even if you have a boarding pass, when you return to the airport, stop at the check in desk to get the special sticker on your hand luggage. This will be necessary to return airside.

zbender and SC Flier like this.
  3. tfd

tfd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this new -- like this month new? I never got any stickers on my carry on luggage and definitely didnt get any last month.. they do put HKIA stickers on checked luggage.

4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this has been in place for quite a while. I remembered the first time I had one for my carry-on was back in 2008 with TG. The sticker/tag is then checked when you are about to enter the security/immigration area where they also scan your BP.

I think they will only give you the sticker if you have a medium/large carry-on, I normally only carry a laptop/small bag with me so normally will not get the sticker.

5. greywolf

greywolf Active Member

Status Points:
    I usually travel with a 22" carry-on and a laptop bag, and in 50+ CX departures in the last year and a half I haven't received a sticker (unless I travel with two large-sized carry-ons)- and never had an issue going into the security/immigration area.

Edited to add that I need the sticker when traveling with two large-sized carry-ons

6. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never needed to get a carry-on sticker at HKG travelling with a full-sized laptop bag and 20" rollaboard. I never carry on anything big and check bags on only <5% of my flights though.