Lounge/Club Etiquette

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by legalalien, Feb 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a thread on this already? I couldn't find one.

What do you wish people stop doing in Diamond Lounges, Grand Clubs, etc.?

I wish they would stop having breakfast in workout gear after hitting the gym (yes, inspired by what I'm looking at right now). If you must eat right this second and can't shower and change, get a plate and take it to your room.

Too early to be grouchy...

TAHKUCT, canucklehead, kenbo and 8 others like this.
  2. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, I don't blame people if the lounge is the only place the hotel provides for business folks, but it's hard to relax when there's a racket of cell-phone toting hagglers!

3. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its not the Old Country Buffet either. Leave a little for your fellow traveler.....

4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many lounges won't let you take food to your room ... heck, some won't even let you take drinks in their glasses!

5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about not touching or picking up food with your fingers and hands. There's a reason the tongs are there.

I am currently at a lounge and just saw a distinguished-looking gentleman in business attire using his hands to touch all over a baguette and a loaf of bread, while a well-dressed lady dropped a bread roll and then quickly putting it back on the serving plate, thinking that nobody had seen her. :eek:

6. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    No five second rule applies in a hotel lounge!

legalalien, Kalboz and cennas like this.
  7. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of my pet peeves is wearing sleepwear or a bathrobe (and who knows what else under it) :eek: to the lounge for breakfast. It is almost like these folks just rubbed the sleep from their eyes and came downstairs at Christmas to find out what is under the tree. It is rare (but not unheard of) in a lounge st a nicer property, but watch out at Hyatt Place or Summerfield Suites/Hyatt House!

8. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Japan, it is almost customery to eat wearing your Yukata (robe) during a meal after taking a bath in the onsen (communal hot spring); however, I noticed that there was nobody wearing their Yukata at the Grand Hyatt Fukuoka Club Lounge last weekend. Maybe because they did not have a hot spring?

Just an observation. :)

9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they have lounges at those places?

flyingdawg likes this.
  10. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Negative. But the breakfast in the lobby can attract some pretty scary looking folks.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is exactly what I was going to post. I see this way too often and it disgusts me every time. (I should point out that I am a complete anti-buffet person in general)

cennas, flyingdawg and Kalboz like this.
  12. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hyatt Places I went to did not have a lounge, but did have a common area for their breakfast.

At one, there was a delightful little child who would go around to the tables and remove the empty plates and throw them into the garbage for us. Parents were amused until they realized that the plates were supposed to go into the plastic bin for washing and had to fish out the plates in the rubbish! :)

cennas and flyingdawg like this.
  13. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have small children don't send them to the food stations to serve themselves as invariably they will use their hands to finger large amounts of food.

Be considerate of others, if a plate of 12 shrimp dumpling are brought out, don't take all 12 for your darling child who picks at them then leaves the majority uneaten (yes I am talking to the mother who did that at the GH in HK). Take 4 and leave some for others. If you want more you can go back and get more when the next serving comes out.

Overall I wish people would conduct themselves with more dignity. That is no loud cell phone conversations, no kids running around unsupervised, no feet on the furniture.

canucklehead likes this.
  14. mmgm

mmgm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was at a resort recently that states children are not to play games on the RC computers. That was ignored by the mother and the staff.

15. Pirate

Pirate Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes it does look out of place for us in USA. But I have seen many Europeans walk around and to breakfast in hotels and cruise ships.

16. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or what about using tongs for a cheese plate to put some pasta with tomato sauce on your plate?:confused:

cennas likes this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I confess I go a little bit crazy when I see someone take a clean plate from the stack, handle it and especially stroke the main center flat part where food will go with their bare hands, and then return it to the stack of clean plates. I don't care to speculate when those hands were last washed. I find this worse than taking a muffin or whatever with one's fingers, handling it a bit, and then returning it to the serving tray for someone else to take, but not by much!

18. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, there is a nuance here. If there is a platter of items which can be easily handled without spreading germs to other items, say muffins, cookies, or if care is used, vegetables. I'd sooner grab a muffin with my hands, as I do not know who has handled the tongs. Pasta, well, you really have to use the tongs, bearing any risks about who used the tongs prior to you. But definitely, there must be a rule that, "if you touch it you take it".

19. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never seen that but definitely agree that it's pretty disgusting.