Lounge Access

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by papakim, May 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. papakim
    Original Member

papakim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am traveling to London with my dad on Memorial Day weekend. We are taking the adventurous route and going on S4 status aka the dreaded Buddy Pass. My Delta friend (very senior FA) gave me access to her passes so I'm taking my dad back to the place of his birth; Scotland. He is now 90 and left Edinburgh when he was three. Hasn't been back to the UK since WWII.

The DL loads look great (so far) and I'm hoping we get cleared for business class from Bos to LHR. But we might not get on the first flight so I'm planning for time in the terminal. I don't have DL Lounge access and don't want to buy day passes that we might not use. Any ideas for a great way to spend some time in the DL terminal in BOS or LHR are welcome. Fingers crossed for business class clearance on the early flight.

SQ LPP and jmrich1432 like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Normally if you have a DL AmEx card, you can buy lounge access for $25, but there can be different rules when you're travelling nonrev. If you have access through Priority Pass (does not include DL lounges), this wouldn't be an issue AFAIK, but you would need to read their rules carefully.

Be sure you and your father are dressed for business class if travelling as nonrevs.

Depending on your interests, you can spend time window shopping in duty free. However, your dad might be more interested in sitting down somewhere quiet. Sometimes you can have a small snack or beverages in a nice airport restaurant and use the table for a long time if they're not busy. Just give a good tip.

SQ LPP and BWIflyer like this.
  3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never had an issue using a day pass while traveling on buddy passes. I know DL has significantly relaxed their non-rev dress code, but like MSPeconomist suggested, definitely dress up if you're hoping for BE. No jeans, seriously dress nicely. Bring sweat pants or something comfortable to change into if your nice clothes aren't.

Good luck, hopefully the seats stay open for you!!

SQ LPP likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are nonrevs allowed to change out of their dress code stuff in flight if in FC or business?

SQ LPP and jmrich1432 like this.
  5. papakim
    Original Member

papakim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have read the nonrev rules and DL has relaxed the dress code but clearly they want the buddies to look like they belong up front; I'm sure that was based on problems in the past. We'll be styling. If we don't get an amenity kit with something comfy to wear, we'll pack something appropriate. My friend is Bos based and knows the crew out of Logan. Her DOH is 1980 vintage so we'll be good among S4's. I don't think all nonrevs wait list for business.The biggest challenge is going to Europe for a week in a roller bag...must limit shoes. Ouch!

SQ LPP likes this.
  6. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I have never had an issue once on-board. The FAs are all used to flying nonrev with their families so they tend to be very understanding, especially on long haul. I know people hate to hear this, but I've frequently been treated better as a nonrev up front than as a FF up front.

Right, they want you to look like you belong, but a notch above that. No need for a 3 peice suit for pops, but make sure everything is pressed and you look "put together." You will not receive anything on-board as far as a change of clothing, you will get socks, mask, toothbrush, etc. So pack some (appropriate) pj bottoms or lounge pants. All NRs trying to get on that long-haul will be waitlisted in BE. This has a lot to do with DLs upgrade policy for regular customers. Fortunately, your friend's hire date is excellent so your passes will be pretty far up there even for S4. I will keep my fingers crossed that everything stays open for you guys!

Look into bringing a pair of comfy ballet flats and a pair of good walking (tennis) shoes. You shouldn't need anything more than that for a week. If you want any suggestions for quick-dry, yet surprisingly nice looking clothing or specific shoes, PM me. I'm always happy to help a fellow NRer! The joy of getting on the flight is wonderful!

jbcarioca and SQ LPP like this.
  7. papakim
    Original Member

papakim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks JM for packing advice. How do I PM a member on MP? Starting a conversation or something else?

lin821 and jbcarioca like this.
  8. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Start a Conversation is PM :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can post your need to be guested at the just launched Delta SkyClub Meeting fourm. Should anyone be able to guest you they would contact you via PM. If you are a member of the other site you should also post there. Good luck and travel safe.

jmrich1432 and jbcarioca like this.
  10. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I worked for Worldspan awhile ago, nice to have travel privs but was just a step above S4. It ALWAYS helped us to look the part, DL was just relaxing the dress code then from business casual but we kept flying that way since I was a new employee and we flew between ATL and SLC routinely. Dress nicely and be polite to the GAs and it should go well for you. Might not hurt to approach the GA with your elderly dad and ask too, they might see his age and might help you out. But then I've not been flying space available for a long time now and they may have changed things as automated systems have popped up.

11. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    All nonrevs automatically wait-list for business and then if that is full they clear into coach. Good luck though on a S4