Lounge access

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by CaptainKoloth, Dec 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. CaptainKoloth

CaptainKoloth New Member

Status Points:
    I booked a first class rewards flight from LAX to DCA via aadvantage, class a. The flight itself is on Alaska airlines. From the way I read the fine print for both American's and Alaska's clubs, I think this gives me access to the Alaska lounge at LAX, but not American- can someone who knows this stuff better than I confirm? Thanks!

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    AFAIK, you can't get Admirals Club access on any domestic award ticket. Not sure about Alaska Boardroom access.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    JFK-LAX/SFO should get it. Not sure if LAX-MIA on the wide-body still does or not.

From the AS website:
    The OP should have BR access at LAX.

Pizzaman likes this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's right. Forgot about the 3-cabin transcons.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe I recently saw a notice at LAX that Admiral's Club members can use the Alaska Boardroom in terminal five for US flights. Will try to ID where i saw it though may have been in the terminal. Maybe??

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a sign by the elevator to the AS BR advising AC/PC members that they can now use the BR. However, this has turned the lounge into a bit of a zoo at times given DL club members also have access, along with AS's own BR members. Was there about three weeks ago (flying AS) and there was not a seat to be had between 11a and 1p once I found one for myself (and outlet for my laptop). Not being a regular to BRs, I was surprised when the bar tender refused to accept a tip...and once the lounge had emptied out, he did the rounds with a second pour of chardonnay. (And yes, flying business or first on a 3-cabin AA transcon still gets AC access -- though not BR which is in the wrong terminal in any case -- and FL if in F.)

7. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm new to EXP and checking out lounge access for an upcoming trip; part of the itinerary (all Y) is SCL-JFK (LAN) connecting to JFK-LAX (AA), followed by LAX-MEL (QF).

I thought that as EXP I would have access to the FL in both JFK and LAX, even flying Y since I'm on the transcon, but reading the AA website it seems that only Emeralds from other airlines can get in when on a domestic flight, not AA EXP, so am I out of luck in JFK? Is this a recent change, or have I always had the wrong idea? Will the fact that I am connecting from an international flight or (eventually) to another international flight that same day permit access to the FL in JFK (bullet point three)?

We offer complimentary access if you are:
    • Traveling First Class on an American Airlines or US Airways marketed and operated international* flight. Lounge access is also valid on a same-day itinerary that includes a qualifying international segment
    • Traveling First Class on an American Airlines or US Airways marketed and operated three-class nonstop transcontinental flight. Lounge access is also valid on a same-day itinerary that includes a qualifying transcontinental segment
    • An American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum customer departing on or connecting to an international* flight, operated and marketed by a oneworld® airline, regardless of cabin flown
    • A oneworld First Class international* customer departing on or connecting to a oneworld marketed and operated flight
    • A oneworld Emerald customer** departing on or connecting to any oneworld marketed and operated flight, regardless of cabin flown. Access is valid on a same day itinerary
    *For the purpose of Flagship Lounge access, eligible international cities include flights traveling to or from Europe, Asia, Central and South America and Mexico City only. All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit

**American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum/Emerald customers traveling on solely North American itineraries do not qualify for Flagship Lounge access. North America is defined as U.S. (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Customers traveling on airline industry non-revenue tickets are not eligible for access

8. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are EXP and you have a one world international segment in your itinerary you get access to the FL.

zpaul likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think it is poorly worded and should say "connecting from an international flight" rather than to one. But you'll have access on that itinerary.

Hopefully you have enough time either in LAX or JFK to get out and leave the airport for a bit. That's a brutal travel day.

Pizzaman and zpaul like this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly it doesn't matter whether you are connecting to or from an International flight or even if its in another airport, just provided it on your itinerary. It should be noted also that members have reported being granted access (not sure if just as courtesy) even on continuing flights the next day connecting from Internationals.

Pizzaman, zpaul and brodyf like this.
  11. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys! Glad to know I'll get in.

Yes, the days are brutal - and it's not over in MEL, as I connect to PER from there, turn around two days later and do the return PER-SYD-DFW-SCL. Since I'm in Y (except for upgrades on the 2 AA legs), the lounges will be the highlights of the trip, thus the concern about access.

12. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's harsh...

Pizzaman and zpaul like this.
  13. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew the LAX-JFK route in May. The next day I flew out of JFK again, headed to MDE. They gave me FL access because it was within 24 hours of my arrival on the TCON in F. Is it possible that the 24 hour rule applies to any FL access?

zpaul likes this.
  14. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I've had itineraries like that before, the 24-hour rule has always applied, so I would say, "yes" to that.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  15. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    You probably got FL access because you are EXP flying international. Any one world emerald flying international on any class fare get FL access. You don't get Flagship check in access though which is weird.

zpaul and KenInEscazu like this.
  16. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Northern South America doesn't qualify for FL access. I am always flying in a mix of domestic first and intl business, but that doesn't get me in. I asked the AAngel who checked me into the AC if my previous day's flight in F from LAX would qualify, and she specifically said, "Yes. As long as it is within 24 hours."

My question was meant to inquire if that is a rule on any flight with FL access, or just the super-fancy 321 that they use on the TCON. According to zpaul's reply, it is the norm. With all of my intl flying being between the USA and Central America/Northern South America, that was a very rare opportunity for me to get into FL at all, unfortunately. Wish they would open the FL to paid premium fares to/from where I fly, but it's really just glorified domestic F service. It is unlikely to change. I'm glad that there is now a Centurion Lounge at MIA, but it isn't as cool as the one at DFW, IMHO. At least the food is a much smaller spread, which is all I care about. :)

zpaul likes this.
  17. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have upgraded from J to F on MIA-LAX every time I can for this reason. I have frequently had the last 772 flight in F MIA-LAX arriving at about 9:00pm with an overnight at LAX before continuing my journey the next day, and have always had access the next morning. It's kind of nice - stop in after arriving for a final cocktail, and then have a breakfast mimosa or two the next day before my LAX-DEN flight at noon.

Unfortunately in this scenario I don't qualify for FL check-in the next day, but I can live with that.

timfrost likes this.
  18. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know about the 24-hour connection recognition. Will be arriving at JFK from HKG on CX-F after 10p and flying out on AA the next day so I'll get access to the FL for a nice breakfast before my onward flight to YYZ.

19. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA hasn't announced anything like this, but it looks like UA may limit the overnight eligibility access to their clubs. As I said, AA has said NOTHING about this, but it's a good indication to keep our eyes open to potential changes.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Except not really. "Same-day" in airline world almost universally means within 24 hours, not by calendar day.

zpaul likes this.
  21. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/airport/lounge/rules.aspx

From what I read in the article, which I still can't find, sorry, some interpret it now to mean that if you arrive and your onward flight isn't in the same "opening period" of the Club (i.e.you get in at 21:00, Club closes from 00:00 to 06:00, your next flight departs 08:00) you are no longer allowed access upon arrival. What you are saying is what we believe to be the case AND STILL IS AT AA. I'm not saying that the Admirals Clubs will be changing, just that it seems to be happening elsewhere.

It could apply only to people who have accessed the clubs after arrival at their final destination. I can't see this being a very large percentage of club visitors, but I've been known to do it from time to time. Either way, while I don't really care what's happening at the UCs, I do care because it could set a trend.

Who knows? I guess I'll follow the United forums for a while to see how this plays out, but I think it would be strange to be telling people that there has been a change to access rules if they hadn't actually changed...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The main rule which has changed with UA (and not for a year yet) is that the company is no longer going to issue gate passes for members to access the lounge if they are not otherwise in possession of a means to pass through security.

The definition of "same day" is and has been within 24 hours of departure. That has not changed.

And getting worried now about something which might change in the future is a waste of energy.