Lounge Access with EXP

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by yousavvy, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yousavvy

yousavvy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm an executive platinum member, and I had a question about lounge access. If I am flying domestically on AA, can I access one world partner airlines lounges? Even if I am not flying their airlines?

Anyone have any great tips?

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a good question. I am interested to find out too. My guess is no. But isn't most of the partner lounges are in a different terminal?

3. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

TuxTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    In theory yes, the OneWorld Lounge Access Policy does not specify that the flight needs to be an international flight. It simply states that the flight must be marketed and operated by a oneworld carrier!

Of course as JALPak points out you may struggle getting to one of the other oneworld lounges as they're often in different terminals. I can't think of any of the top of my head, but then again someone based in the US might know of one.

I know some of the united folks switch terminals to get to *A lounges, so perhaps you might be able to do something similar at some airports to get access to a oneworld lounge. Only way to find out is to try :)

JALPak likes this.
  4. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of the AA oneworld partner airlines, BA is the one with the most lounges in the region AA considers "domestic", and where such BA lounges are physically accessible when flying on AA. That said, as an AA EXP and trying to access such a lounge on the basis of AA EXP status when flying AA domestically, you should expect to have problems more often than not even if you physically access the front desk of the BA lounge. BA lounge dragons aren't big fans of AA EXPs on domestic-only itineraries, and are known to have even given AA EXPs some problem on international itineraries where the flights are AA-coded-and-operated.

JALPak likes this.
  5. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has the situation improved after their JBV started?

6. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given what happens at IAD and DFW, I don't think it has resulted in a general improvement. Then again I actually never expected the AA/BA/IB JV to make matters in this regard any better -- rather I wouldn't be surprised if it makes matters worse, although I'm not taking that as a given at this point either.

JALPak likes this.
  7. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you drill down a little deeper into the oneWorld lounge access pages, you find this (red bolding mine):

American Airlines AAdvantage

[​IMG]
    AAdvantage Executive Platinum®

Equivalent to oneworld Emerald
    Lounge access benefits: When travelling internationally* on any of the oneworld member airlines, regardless of the class of service, an Emerald equivalent member and one guest will be welcome in any of the oneworld airline pre-flight lounges, including First Class, Business Class and Frequent Flyer lounges.
    * Solely North American itineraries within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean are not considered international destinations. This exception applies to AAdvantage members only and not to any other oneworld Frequent Flyer programme members.
    AAdvantage Platinum®

Equivalent to oneworld Sapphire
    Lounge access benefits: When travelling internationally* on any of the oneworld member airlines, regardless of the class of service, a Sapphire equivalent member and one guest will be welcome in any of the exclusive airline pre-flight Business Class and Frequent Flyer lounges.

* Solely North American itineraries within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean are not considered international destinations. This exception applies to AAdvantage members only and not to any other oneworld Frequent Flyer programme members.

So the bottom line is that AA elites ARE treated differently than other OW Emeralds and Sapphires.

JDiver, JALPak and TuxTraveller like this.
  8. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes I have just checked and AA is an exception to the overall rule. The OneWorld lounge access policy for each programme is here:

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/lounge-access

AA and QF have exceptions for domestic lounge access. This does not apply to all other OW FFPs!

Sorry for the confusion, life is a little easier with BA :)

JALPak likes this.
  9. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be fair though, the exception for QF doesn’t deny you access, but just doesn’t allow you access to what is essentially the first class lounge, but without a domestic first product, a proper business class lounge.

JALPak and TuxTraveller like this.
  10. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True and also QF Gold (OW Sapphire) don't get access to the QF Domestic Business Class Lounge like they would if they were travelling on an international flight.

If you scroll down to "Lounge Access by Tier Status" on the link above or just click here:

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/lounge-access#lounge-access-by-tier-status

Then you can see the AA and QF exceptions clearly spelled out.

JALPak likes this.
  11. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you’re confusing the terms though. The "International Business Lounge" is essentially a Qantas Club, and the "Domestic Business Lounge" is essentially a First Class lounge. So a QF Gold should never be entitled to access to a Domestic Business Lounge, as they’re only OW Sapphire. They do get access to a very nice business lounge though, called the Qantas Club.

If travelling on a international flight a QF Gold would get access to the Qantas Club domestically, or the International Business Lounge when in an international terminal, both essentially being the same thing.

TuxTraveller and JALPak like this.
  12. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And how exactly does this naming convention make any sense?

I re-read that twice and I honestly think Qantas need to sort out the naming of their lounges... how can a first class lounge have the words "Business Lounge" in it... :rolleyes:

Obviously also the reason that the OneWorld site feels it needs to specify this as an exception on their site :p

samh004, Thanks for clarifying though :D

13. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It’s really hard to explain, but as you know with OneWorld you have Business class lounges that Sapphires and Emeralds can enter and First class lounges that only Emeralds can enter. This is all well and good internationally, but as Qantas doesn’t have a domestic First class product, they can’t very well name their domestic Emerald lounges the First class lounge.

The domestic Business class lounge is essentially for business class passengers, and Emerald cardholders. Sapphires can still use the Qantas Club, which is the normal lounge. :p

14. TuxTraveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I see your point, I still think it might confuse a lot of people (at least at first glance)!

Oh well who said things were meant to be logically anyways eh? :p

15. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No doubt, luckily they have the OW Sapphire and Emerald symbols placed where they need to be, so it’s easy to work out what you have access to normally :p

TuxTraveller likes this.
  16. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    During my limited time with OW, I've found that they are usually very stingy with lounge access, and not nearly as generous as *A. Dose anyone know OW members compensate each other for lounges? Do they pay each other like *A dose?