Lounge access subtlety?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by MrLincoln, Apr 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    MrsLincoln and JrLincoln are traveling in J from the US to the EU. MrsLincoln's a *G, and the award tickets were both issued from my *G account (pre-devaluation, of course, Daddy ain't no dummy). Both BPs show *G.

They then visit the UA club at MSP, where they're told that, because they're flying on LH for their second segment, they aren't allowed to access the club. If they were flying UA metal to Germany, says the agent, they'd be entitled; but, no. I call CS and, after a lengthy discussion (I guess with the MSP station) CS concurs with MSP.

The ticket's plated on 016 stock; the overwater route is a rev share JV route, obviously; the travelers both have *G BP's; they're traveling in J, for goodness' sake.

Is this a change I was going to like, or is someone confused? Anyone who SHARES the current admit rules with me would have my thanks.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the correct interpretation of the rules for a business class ticket.

Access to UA clubs other than at the gateway city is only granted if flying on UA metal in BF/GF for the long-haul segment. And the *G on the BP doesn't mean access to the lounge; that's not one of the benefits which is inherited down by booking for them on your account.

Also, this is not a change at all; the policy has been this way since the merger. Quite frankly, the fact that any benefits trickle down IS a change you should like.

ETA: I see now that one of the travelers is *G of her own right; I missed that in the OP with the discussion of inherited status. Had she presented her card she would have been granted access. Without that, not so much.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    8MiHi and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the Star Alliance Website: Lounge Access Policy

Note the difference between the two...

Since MrsLincoln holds Star Alliance Gold status, she should not have been denied access to the MSP United Club as she was traveling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight and was also entitled a guest. The confusion here is that they both tried to access the United Club as International Business Class customers when MrsLincoln should have showed her *A Gold Card and then they would have been granted access per *A policy.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I can tell, LH has lounges in the US at:

ATL
    BOS
    EWR
    IAD
    LAX (Star Alliance Lounge)

And LH also has reciprocal agreements with other SA lounges in other US cities, from which their airplanes depart.

If you are travelling J on LH, and there is no LH lounge available at that airport (e.g., LAX), shouldn't you then have access to another SA (e.g., UA) lounge?

5. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem is (once again) CO's systems. Since the purchaser's FFN is in the record, not the traveler's, her *G isn't showing, so the agent is denying them based on what the agent sees. When she appealed using the INTL J ticket, that was not the correct appeal to use. The nuance is that she's a bona fide *G, but her *G isn't showing. Had she presented her *G card, she should have been allowed entry. They could have been flying in Y and still gotten in with her *G card.

Most airlines let you put your FFN in the record, regardless of who used their miles for it. SHARES is just lame, and here's another situation where a pax gets screwed unless they know all the nuances themselves.

WilliamQ and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that true for *G's? It could probably be spelled out more clearly on the UA or Star website. The UA site says: "United Star Alliance Gold members may visit Star Alliance Gold lounges," and the table specifying entrance credentials for the United Club is a Star Alliance Gold card, and "Boarding pass for travel in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight", not "a United BusinessFirst, Global First" flight -- that is the requirement for F and J customers.

MrsLincoln is a *G herself, by virtue of sleeping with me, a Million Miler.

Thanks, I haven't been following the details of stuff like this since I switched mostly to Delta. Appreciate the help.

7. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's one of the things I found strange -- both her BP and JrLincoln's BP show *G and MrsLincoln's FFP number, even though I drew them from my account. Perhaps what's printed on the paper BP doesn't match what's in their PNR.

8. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    For additional hilarity, now they're being turned away from the ORD B17 club because "it's full." It's probably good that I'm not with them this time. :eek:

traveltoomuch likes this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The issue here is that MrsLincoln gave the Club Agent wrong information for their lounge access eligibility. Had she told them that she had Star Gold status and showed the *G Card she would have been admitted into the lounge along with a guest.

You've established that MrsLincoln has *G status so she should have informed the agent of this instead of saying they were on Business Class tickets. The agent followed the correct policy with the faulty information that she was told by MrsLincoln.

It's a known glitch that Award tickets purchased by MileagePlus Elites for other people retain some of the benefits however this is not a published benefit.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I missed that part. Unfortunately, it looks like because his *G status was in the record hers was not and that busted things. Did she have her *G card with her? If she did that would have solved the problem. Lacking that, however, the agents were correct in denying her access.
    Only if departing in business class from the local airport. They don't fly MSP-Germany so there was a connection involved and that wouldn't permit access.

Also, LH no longer operates a lounge in ATL.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the Lufthansa website, Lufthansa customers have access to The Club at ATL lounge, see:
    http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Lounges

Flyer1976 likes this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH used to have their own lounge in ATL but they closed it and are sending their customers over to The Club which is a pretty decent lounge.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, but they don't operate it. There is a lounge for passengers at MIA or MCO, too, but LH doesn't operate it.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't AA have similar issues with Avios bookings?

15. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA lets you modify your FFN in the booking.

The problem people have is that they're AA Elite, book thru Avios, and then don't have AA change their FFN.