Lounge access question

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by johnzavala111, Jun 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. johnzavala111

johnzavala111 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank for the help, I can't get a concrete answer when I go to the Star Alliance
    Website. I am in the middle of an award ticket from Austin to eastern Europe in business and back
    And I thought I was entitled to all alliance lounges at each connection.
    I had a 5 hr layover on my way back at JFk and was just denied entrance into
    An RCC-no USAir lounges hear. I head back to AUS via CLT. I guess I won't have
    Lounge access in CLT either. Thank for your help

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are on a round trip business class award without stop overs, you should get *A lounge access the entire way.

Did they turn you away at the T7 UA Club? What did they say...not on domestic award travel?

Did you get agent's name?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope...at least not just based on the Biz class ticket.

If one has no status then lounge access is only available when departing the local airport in a premium cabin. For US and UA lounges the departure must be a long-haul segment, not domestic. So assuming the OP has no status then that means no lounge access in JFK or CLT on the return.

If *G then one gets access throughout the trip, regardless of cabin.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are correct.

*A's policy really bites. Had the pax been on OneWorld or SkyTeam, they would have had access.

I mainly fly OW/ST, so these are the rules I'm used to.

From StarAlliance.com
    International Business Class Customers: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges.
    • Customer must present a boarding pass for travel in International Business Class on a Star Alliance flight
    • Customer must be departing from the local airport in International Business Class
    • Customers must be a revenue customer
    • Customer is not entitled to any guests
    OW and ST would have allowed the pax in.​
    From oneworld.com:
    oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class travellers
    Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with aoneworld member airline.
    Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. (First Class passengers may be accompanied by one guest travelling on a flight operated and marketed by aoneworld airline).
    Customers flying in Economy class on the domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling the longhaul segment.
    Exception: American Airlines AAdvantage® Program members, regardless of their tier status, may not use lounges when travelling solely on North American itineraries (defined as within or between the USA, Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean). In these cases, access rules are governed by American Airlines' own rules (i.e. paid lounge-access membership).
    From Skyteam.com:
    All international First and Business Class passengers traveling on or connecting to/from a same-day international flight operated by a SkyTeam Member airline have access to our exclusive lounge facilities. Simply present your same-day (First or Business Class) ticket for an international SkyTeam airline flight

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  5. johnzavala111

johnzavala111 Active Member

Status Points:
    Many thanks. I was allowed access during trip departure in AUS and Chicago. Was that b/c I was on my way to international destination?

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you were on UA metal for the international segment then UA will allow you access at the other lounges they operate on the same day as a courtesy. But that is in addition to the minimum requirement. Once you're back and not flying on UA metal they don't offer that.