Lounge access on AS and CX flights

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by lichenlt, May 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming trip from SEA-SFO (AS in F)-HKG (CX in F) on award tickets (AA miles). I was wondering if I could get lunge access at SEA. Thanks.

2. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a rule, no, the greeters at the AS Board Room at SEA look for the booking code on your boarding pass and if it's a redemption ticket they'll deny entrance. That said, they've let me in on a couple of occasions despite my using miles, so it won't hurt to ask.

However, lots of AS flights are departing from the north satellite these days, in which case the Board Room is not at all convenient.

sobore, lichenlt and SQ LPP like this.
  3. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you saying passengers on award tickets don't get lounge access? what about at SFO? I thought international first class passengers always get lounge access, no?

4. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll get CX access at SFO, but on AS F awards they generally don't give lounge access. Paid, yes.

FWIW, the Board Room at SEA is usually packed, and it's no great shakes as lounges go.

Like I said, you can always ask.

lichenlt likes this.
  5. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Paid domestic first class gets lounge access? Is this only for AS? Last time I was denied for Skyclub access on a domestic first class ticket on DL. The agent told me that only international first class get Skyclub access.

6. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was on an AA award ticket last fall from ORD-SEA-(overnight)-SFO in AS first and then continued on SFO-NRT in JL biz. I was allowed to use the Board Room lounge in Seattle. I only needed to show my boarding pass and there was no question asked. The award was ticketed as A class. What is the booking class of your ticket?

According to AS Board Room policies:
    "Passengers ticketed in First Class in either F or A class have access to the Alaska Airlines Board Room included in their ticket (excluding reciprocal agreements with other airline clubs or lounges)."

lichenlt likes this.
  7. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes this is my bad. I remember being turned away on U class tickets (upgrades) not on A, so I misspoke. If the OP's ticket is in A, then there shouldn't be an issue.

AFAIK AS is the only legacy carrier that gives lounge access on non-transcon domestic pax ticketed in FC.

lichenlt likes this.
  8. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks penumpang. Now I see on AA.com that oneworld customers in international first class get access to Admiral club. Does it have to be on AA oneworld award? Do I have access to admiral club in SFO?

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Theoretically you should have access (it's touch and go with class of service, much more solid with OW status), though logistically not possible. CX uses the British Airways Lounge. That'll be a better option then the AC, though the new AC in SFO is supposed to be nice.

sobore and lichenlt like this.
  10. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cathay Pacific flies from the International terminal at SFO. You'd have access to the British Airways Terraces lounge (regular or first class) but wouldn't have access to the Admiral's Club as it's in a different terminal. Note that arriving on Alaska and departing on CX will require a terminal change.

lichenlt likes this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd actually say that the SEA Bored Room™ is not bad as domestic lounges go- actual food items like pancakes and soup instead of crudites and chips, for instance. But stay away from the paint thinner complimentary well drinks (call drinks will cost you).

bakedpatato and lichenlt like this.
  12. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just curious, when do I have access to Admiral's Club? only on AA International flight? what do they mean by oneworld customers?

13. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    what do you mean logistically not possible? not in the same terminal?

So generally for access to certain lounge, I can only go to the one in the same departing terminal? what if I have 8-hr layover and I wanted to go to a nicer lounge in the nearby terminal?

14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You'd have to show your CX boarding pass to clear TSA again, right? I would think they might look at you funny for going to a terminal where you can't board your flight.

lichenlt likes this.
  15. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I'm not a frequent flyer, I haven't encountered a situation where I had to go through different security check points to go to different terminals. Like in Seattle and Atlanta, once you go through the main checkpoint, you can go to any terminal freely. Now I see SFO has a security checkpoint at the entrance of every terminal.

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Which is what I meant about the logistics. :)

Are you flying first class back on CX from HKG? If so enjoy the lounges, they're some of the best you can find.

Don't forget you can use CX's Arrivals Lounge when you land from SFO. LINK.

lichenlt likes this.
  17. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'd have access to the AC if you were flying on AA internationally in business or first class, or are an elite member of another Oneworld Alliance member airline's frequent flyer program, or of course if you were a member of the AC. The lounges are all inside security, so in your case, you'd leave the Alaska terminal (I think Terminal 1) on arrival, go to the International terminal when it's time to go, re-clear security, and then you could go to the (BA) lounge pre-flight.

The Oneworld Alliance includes AA, Cathay Pacific, BA, Japan Airlines, Qantas, Iberia, Lan and several other airlines. Alaska is not a Oneworld member, although they are partners with many Oneworld airlines.

lichenlt likes this.
  18. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is pretty sweet. Yes I'm flying FC on CX on my way back from HKG. Do I get arrival lounge access when I land in SFO? I have a few hours of connection time to kill at SFO. Or maybe I can access AS lounge since I'm on A class ticket?

19. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Elite members, I see, I thought oneworld customers meant anyone who's flying first or business class on oneworld operated or marketed flights.

20. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AS also has a Bored Room™ at SFO. It's small. I wouldn't hang out there for 8 hours. :eek:

lichenlt likes this.
  21. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a case of either-or. You can use the AC if you're flying internationally (non-North America) on AA in F or J, OR are a (non-AA) Oneworld elite member flying on any AA route or on any Oneworld carrier, regardless of class of service, OR if you have an AC annual subscription. In any event, in airports where each terminal has its own security, you can only use lounges in the terminal from which you're departing.

lichenlt likes this.
  22. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha, thank you Gardyloo.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't quite true. Some domestic transcons with BE service give access to DL lounges, such as JFK-LAX/SFO. It's detailed on the dropdown lounge locations menu on delta.dumb.

lichenlt likes this.
  24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CX FC lounges in HKG are amazing. Be sure to go to the airport early enough to fully enjoy the experience.

lichenlt likes this.
  25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Same with AA. 3 Class service is an exception on US airlines domestically as far as I know.

lichenlt likes this.