Lounge access on AAdvantage award to SE Asia.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by LarryInNYC, Feb 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been in an airline lounge since I flew the Concord 25 years ago. It's never been something that seemed to me to be worth a lot of money — I don't fly that much and when I do I generally don't want to spend a lot of time at the airport and prefer to stick close to the gate (since I'm of the personal belief that each airline maintains a separate department tasked only with figuring out a reason to deny me, LarryInNYC, boarding).

But this summer I'll be flying to SE Asia and back with my family with middle-of-the night departures and several changes en route. I thought it might be nice to try to acquire access to some of the lounges for our carriers that might make a difference in our comfort level. My question is how to go about doing this at little or no cost.

Our flights:

JFK - HKG - KUL on Cathay Pacific. Total flight time is about 20 hours over two calendar days.
    BKK - NRT - BOS - LGA on Japan Airlines. Total time is about 30 hours over two calendar days.

Flights are booked in coach using AAdvantage miles.

I was under the impression that the new Citi AAdvantage cards came with a couple of day passes to American Airlines lounges. When I check the public offer, however, that benefit is not mentioned (and the bonus seems to have gone down from 50K miles to 30K / 40K after $5000).

Is Amex my best bet here? What other possibilities exist to get into the AA, CX, or JL lounges?

2. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have status on a OW carrier?

Amex won't help you with entrance to a CX or JL lounge.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The new Citi Executive cards actually come with an AAdmirals Club membership. If you have one, you can access an AC. The problem you'll run into is that there are no ACs for many of the airports you'll be flying in and out of.

There are ACs in NRT, BOS, and LGA. There is one in JFK but not at the terminal CX departs from. ACs do sell day passes which would cost $50 for you and your wife. Kids would be allowed in with you free.

AMEX would be a good choice for lounges though not on CX/JL. Seems it allows access to DL/AA/US. Did you enroll in the Priority Pass select feature for the AMEX Platinum?

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't even have status on the subway. (Well, Delta silver, but that won't help here — or much of anywhere!)

5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do they define "day". For instance, our JFK flight leaves 1:30 AM on the 24th, so we'd need to lounge around 10 or 11pm on the 23rd. It then arrives in HKG on the 25th (I know there's no lounge in HKG, just trying to figure out how the day thing works).

Don't have the AMEX, just considering whether it's the only path to lounge access (sounds like it won't even help with that on this flight).

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AC passes are good for the entire day of travel, if you take an overnight flight it can be used at an AC in the arrival airport . However, CX leaves from T7 and AA operates out of T8, so T7 does not have an AC.

If you don't have an AMEX you could look into getting a Priority Pass card for this trip. LINK. Not sure the cost/value ratio is good though.

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would consider going to the "next" terminal because, due to the 1:30am departure time, would probably like to get the kids to the airport earlier rather than later. But an A/C pass won't help in HKG, right?

Priority pass does not look like a good deal in this case because it would run $27 per person, per lounge (and as I read their on-line material, it looks like the kids would pay too).

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sadly no AA service to HKG, so not AC location.

At JFK T7 and T8 are not connected airside, so you wouldn't be able to access the AC locations without a ticket that leaves from T8.

I am unfamiliar with the ins and outs of Priority Pass since I have EXP and only fly OW airlines for the most part. I know a few people find utility in the program but it might not suit your needs for such a limited time frame with 4 people. :(

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops, I didn't consider that the lounges are past security!

Any ways to advance to oneWorld elite status without actually flying all those miles?

10. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can buy oneworld lounge access via Qantas, but it's something like $AU 700 for the first year (cheaper to renew). Probably not worth it unless you're planning on a number of coach oneworld flights. Kingfisher apparently gave away oneworld ruby access a couple of months ago, but that doesn't get you in a lounge and you'd still need to advance to the next tier go get it. I don't know any other way.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Qantas has a lounge pass that gives access to all oneworld lounges? Or are you referencing the Qantas Club memberships that give access to QF, joint QF/BA, and joint QF/AA lounges?

Also, Kingfisher (IT) isn't giving any oneworld status since it is not a OW member and is now "on hold" pending financial issues. :eek::D

12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually signed up Kingfisher. I thought it was Star Alliance. In any event, my KingClub came through as "red", I'm not even sure that gets me any alliance status at all.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The new Citi executive gives you 10K AA EQM after 40K in spend, however that's still short of the 50K EQM you'd need to get lounge access on AA. With other programs, I'm not so sure, but generally speaking you'd need to fly to get the elite status in some way, shape, or form. AA has elite status challenges where you pay a small fee and have to fly a certain number of elite qualifying points (EQP) in order to get AA PLT status which gives lounge access. But again, you'd need to fly a bit.

14. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    That card (which is expensive, like an AMEX, right) gets you A/C membership. Is it only for same-day A/A boarding passes?

Don't you have to challenge from a similar level in another program? My best is silver with Delta.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Citi Executive comes with a $450 annual fee.

And you do not need similar status in another airline to do the AA challenges.

16. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, my bad. I was referring to Qantas Club. I thought it granted access to all oneworld lounges. I've just managed to get oneworld lounge access for a couple of years so haven't needed to look in to this yet.

Yeah, and that :)