Lounge access in Frankfurt

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by Steven Schwartz, Jun 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are very excited to be on Singapore Air in First Class Suites, JFK to FRA. We have a 5 hour layover and a Lufthansa flight to Ediburgh. At this time, the only award seat we could get on the second flight is in Economy but hoping to be able to upgrade to Business closer to departure.

Singapore, much to my surprise, has indicated that they have no contractual relationship with any lounge for us to use during our layover. When we fly BA in First and connect in Business, we still have access to the Concord room. Very surprised.

Has anyone had any experience with this. Is there a proper party for me to beg to in order to gain access to a Lufthansa Business lounge?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

2. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have Star Alliance status?

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a Star Alliance member SQ does have a contractual relationship with all Star Alliance lounges:
    Traveling in SQ First Class would have entitled you to access to LH *A lounge [not First Class/Hon lounge] in FRA, if you were also traveling in a premium cabin on your continuation flight.
    I think the issue here is that your flight to Edinburgh is in economy and that is the boarding pass that matters in this case. If you can get changed to business you'd be able to use a Lufthansa business lounge.

4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sadly - no.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This makes a strong case for why it makes sense to go for the UA 1MM status and the lifetime Star Alliance Gold status that comes with it when one is within striking distance, especially if one is a frequent intl traveler.

mht_flyer, Counsellor and Newscience like this.
  6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not gonna happen in this lifetime! My long flights are all on miles.

7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to suggest prioritt pass...but the frankfurt options seem less than impressive.

Terminal 1
    LuxxLounge
    Landside - from Departure Level take escalator opp. Check-in counter No.680 up one level; the Lge is on the right hand side of the Gallery Level, in Departure Hall B/C. If coming from Sheraton Hotel, proceed across bridge to Lge.

Terminal 2
    Sky Lounge
    Airside - Concourse D, 3rd Floor Transit Area, opposite Gate D8. The Lounge is only accessible upon presentation of a valid boarding pass. Passengers in transit will need to Check-in for their onward flight prior to visiting the Lounge and will then need to allow a minimum 30 minutes to reach gate.

Thomask and Newscience like this.
  9. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Great - I do have the United Club credit card but never occurred to me it would work with partners. I guess that's why MP is here! Many thanks.

Newscience likes this.
  10. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not that easy. Checked United Club website - no partner lounges in Frankfurt. I do have Priority Pass so will use the Luxx Lounge. Hopefully, Business will open on my flight and that will solve it. Thanks again

Newscience likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's what the UA site nowadays says, but Star Alliance's seems to disagree:

loungefinder.png

This Flyertalk thread from a few years ago agrees with the lounger finder: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18572180-post2.html

So now you need to work out if United/LH changed the policy or if United's website is not correct. Perhaps email or call the United Club service desk: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contact/club/default.aspx (not that they are necessarily familiar with their own rules, based on my experience)

Newscience likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a bit confusing but I clearly remember that I could use my UA Club membership to enter the LH Business lounge at FRA. I know this was possible once because I did specifically ask and showed my UA Club membership card and was told I could get in. But I then never went in because the agent saw on my BP that I was a *Gold and told me that the *G lounge was nicer.

Here's the old(?) rule:
    • Paid Lounge Members

With a paid lounge membership card that displays the Star Alliance logo and a boarding pass for a departing Star Alliance flight, you can access any Star Alliance member carriers’ business class lounges and the Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Gold Lounge in Singapore. Guest access varies, please see above for specific membership’s guest rules. Day passes generally don’t allow any guests to be brought in.

I just looked at my UA Club membership card and it does have the Star Alliance Logo, which means, by this rule, that a UA Club member should have *A business lounge access under the stated condictions

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  13. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The LuxxLounge is unimpressive, and pretty far to reach - it's in a mezzanine near the road in front of the terminal and the skybridge to the Sheraton, so you'd have to clear immigration and leave the sterile area, and the lounge is probably not worth it, even if you have free Priority Pass and certainly not to pay in.

14. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure the business lounges aren't based on the Star Alliance Silver status, rather than United Club status?

Counsellor and Newscience like this.
  15. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I used my United Airlines Club Card for access to the FRA LH lounges last year. But my return ticket was also UA business class. The attendant at the LH lounge at FRA seemed perfectly content with just seeing and scanning the United Club Card, but of course also checked the airline ticket. Forget about trying this without an actual UA Club membership card, as is also mentioned on the FT string.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    MX and NYCUA1K like this.
  16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is consistent with my experience. *A status is not required. Unless there was recent rule change, one should be able to enter the LH business lounge at FRA with a UA Club membership card...

Newscience likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I picked Silver because it was the lowest status in the dropdown list (no status wasn't an option). AFAIK, Silver does not give you any Star Alliance lounge access. But... since I had the page still open in the browser, I removed the "United Club" paid membership card from the criteria, and leaving everything else as is I then get

You are not eligible for lounge access, based on your selected criteria.

18. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    See if you can spot the difference:

LHR: BA hub
    FRA: not SQ's hub

An outstation is very different from a hub. As mentioned, it's the outbound flight that gives you lounge access (no business on LH = no lounge access). Star Alliance is less generous (it's the flight FROM your airport that gives you lounge access) than Oneworld (ANY flight that same day gives you that level of lounge access) that way.

Assuming you're on SQ 25, I'd grab a paid shower and head into Frankfurt or Mainz for lunch and sightseeing (the trains can take you in in 20 minutes). The LH business class lounges aren't all that and a bag of pretzels, in my opinion, for a multi-hour stay. If this was the LH first class lounge... sure. Business Lounge? Eh.

MX, Newscience, NYCUA1K and 1 other person like this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. So the other day I flew BA into SFO and then continued on to SEA on AS. Would I have received access to the BA Terraces lounge due to the fact that I flew BA First into SFO? (I had enough time that I just walked over to T3 and enjoyed a shower and some decent food at the Centurion Lounge, but just for future reference...)

Newscience likes this.
  20. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

"Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
    • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
    • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
    • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight."
    The catch is:

"To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline."

AKA not AS.

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not aware of that about the OW lounge access policy....

Counsellor and Newscience like this.
  22. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Second post amazing, Eponymous, as SFO certainly NOT a BA hub - right? I did spot that. Snarky

MX and Newscience like this.
  23. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just found this on Star Alliance site regarding lounge access to people who have a paid Club membership card. Looks good - seems I fit into all the conditions. As to traveling into the city, I like the idea but never could figure our how to store our carry-ons and no desire to shlep into the city.

Paid Lounge Membership Customers

Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges2.

• Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers include: United Club, Air Canada Maple Leaf Club - Worldwide
    • Customer must present a valid eligible paid lounge membership card which displays the Star Alliance Lounge Logo
    • Customer must also present a boarding pass for travel on a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
    • Customer is entitled to one guest

MX and Newscience like this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  25. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, but you mentioned the Concorde Room.

SFO is a bit different because AA and BA are in separate terminals.

All of *A is in T1 at FRA... so no need for SQ to run their own business/first lounge in a comparatively small outstation, they just hand it off to LH, since a connecting passenger like you isn't flying SQ out of FRA (whereas if you're connecting at LHR from a BA flight you are very likely to be connecting to a BA flight).