Lounge access for group of 6, could use some thoughts

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by enichols22124, Mar 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello all,

I have a flight involving more family than usual, and I could use some ideas.

Family of 6, involving spouse, 2 kids, my mother and my mother in law. Going from Austin to LAX to Sydney via Qantas (using American on the domestic legs). I'm US Airways Gold, making me a One world Sapphire. With this many, I think a lounge access at all points will be helpful. Being US Airways Gold, and it being an international flight, I get granted access for myself and one other in Austin in the Admirals Club, and I presume the LAX Admirals Club, and Qantas Lounge in Sydney in both directions. However, that still leaves 4 other people.

So, I think I can buy an Admirals Club 30 day membership, and it covers my "family", which I think means spouse and kids. First, is that accurate? IF so, then I think I can buy 2 memberships, 1 for me to cover them, and another for my mother or mother-in-law, and they can check in the other one as the guest. Does this sound right?

If not, then I think I can buy 3 Admirals 30 day memberships, and then each of us can check in a child or a mother or a spouse.

What I'm curious of, is there another way to do it? Can I buy a qantas lounge access and use it the other way around, and is that less expensive (since australian dollars are less then US dollars right now)?

The admiral club membership is $99 each, so for $200-$300 I have everyone covered in all directions.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure the QF lounge is included in the 30-day membership??
    Also, it does not cover guests at all so you'd be buying a lot of those. If the kids are under 18 you cannot buy it for them.

I don't see a ton of value in paying for access to the lounges at LAX or AUS. And you probably wouldn't get in at SYD with the paid options. What are you hoping to get from the investment?

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 30 day AC passes are considered to carry the exact same privileges as a normal annual membership.
    Therefore you would only need to purchase two for your group.
    One which will provide for entry for you, your wife and your two children ( if you were travelling with only your mother-law additionally you might even get away with one :) )...the other one will cover the other two passengers.

Again as stated since they are considered normal AC memberships I am confident you will be able to access the QF lounges.

enichols22124 likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's not what the AA page says about them. It is explicitly described as an "individual membership" and the pricing shows per person.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/airportAmenities/AdmiralsMembership.jsp

And the part I quoted above about partner lounges would also be interesting as there is no membership card to show in SYD.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well you didn't read the link you provided did you?:)

Scroll down to the section which says "Invite your friends and family into the club"

As an AC member you should be granted access to all QF lounges. It been years since I have presented my card to enter a club, my verbally providing my advantage number and a form of ID has always been sufficient
    I see no reason why that would not work in SYD. I would however recommend the OP carry a printed copy of his e-mailed confirmation as a back-up proving his membership.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may want to reread the link. It seems to me you are both missing something.

"At partner lounges, guest access is subject to the policies of each lounge partner."

So does QF allow you to bring in your entire family? The answer is that you will try to be accommodated but isn't guaranteed.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/qantas-club-lounge-access/global/en

Flyer1976 and ContinentalFan like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sigh....I want to re-read nothing... AC members are allowed entry to QF on similar but slightly different worded criteria required to access to regular ACs, period.
    This is a unique arrangement between AA and QF.

The stated differences for entry being:
    1) That the AC rules says "family members" and that rule (unwritten though it may be)
    has always been " family members having the same physical address"
    2) The QF rule as quoted above says family member and specifically addresses ,
    if you bring more than two children....." the Qantas lounge manager will try to
    accommodate them, subject to reviewing the space available in the lounge".
    Since the OP has only two children ( presumably under 18) his family is fully
    covered by the rules, certainly no ambiguity on my part.:)
    His mother will guest his MIL in (or visa-versa)
    Problem solved.

As far as "At partner lounges, guest access is subject to the policies of each lounge partner." ...this a standard burb for all lounges irrespective of airlines.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    enichols22124 likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I still doubt that QF will grant access with no card to show. And the part where the text of the individual 30-day say per visitor rather than per member certainly leaves plenty of potential for differences between that and an annual membership.

skyvan likes this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    You just still refuse to read you own posted link from AA? I am at a complete loss why you are unable to understand this?:rolleyes:
    Copied and pasted from the AA link above.

Invite your friends and family into the club
    Traveling with a guest?
    As long as you’re accompanying your guests, you’re allowed 2 guests or immediate family if you’re an:

• Admirals Club Member

• AAirpass Member with Admirals Club access privileges

• Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive primary cardmember

• 30 Day Membership

• Citi Prestige Card holder**
    You’re allowed 1 guest if you’re a First Class passenger or oneworld® Emerald or Sapphire.

**Citi Prestige card holders must present a standby ticket or boarding pass (other than a non-revenue ticket or boarding pass for airline employee travel), showing an American, American Eagle carrier flight number departing within 12 hours. (If visiting at an arrival airport, flight can be no more than 12 hours prior to the visit,)

I could you give the personal direct cell number line to Patsy Yuen, the manager of AAs MIA clubs, but I do get the feeling you just have the need to be right.

.... anyways I had just enough of this.

enichols22124 and Flyer1976 like this.
  10. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your responses, NewBlueSea. I appreciate the details. I read through a few times, and that's how it looked to me as well. My children are under 18, and I figure I will keep it easy by giving my MIL the other membership and then I should be good to go. I wasn't sure on the children.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Because I read the part above which contradicted that and didn't see the clarification below. Sorry to cause you so much angst.

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem its seem the OP is good to go that all that really matters.:)

13. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flights LAX-SYD depart from TBIT not T4. So while you may use AC in T4 you will need to allow enough time to change terminals and reclear security at TBIT.