Lounge access: EXP/OW emerald use BA lounge on US domestic itin?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by DCtrAAveler, Dec 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since AA has closed the IAD Admiral's Club location, I'm wondering about lounge access on an upcoming all US domestic itin (IAD-DFW-AUS). The BA Galleries Club appears to be my only option. The way I read the rules on BA's site, I think I should have access as a OW emerald even if I'm not in Bus/First. Anyone have experience with this, or similar, scenario who could confirm one way or the other? [I also have Priority Pass Select though my AMEX Plat, which should also get me in, but if I can use the OW status route I'd like to try that first]

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Would be nice wouldn't it? But I think you already know that the answer is no. ;)

The OW lounge access policy has an exception specifically for AA elite members on North American itineraries: LINK.

Under the section titled "oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status", exception #2 reads:

American Airlines AAdvantage® members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, cannot access lounges when travelling solely on North American itineraries within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

3. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, David. I was afraid of that. :( and you're right, did suspect the answer would be no. PP it is, then. Fortunately it turns out I'm traveling outside of the hours when the space is considered as the "BA lounge" and can only be used for Priority Pass.

Follow-on - Did the language from OW at one time refer specifically to Admiral's Clubs, or has the blanket exclusion always been in place for AAdvantage members accessing OW affiliated lounges on purely North American itins? I should know this, but since I've rarely encountered the situation I've forgotten.

4. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think its always been that way.
    Any other oneworld elite should gain access (although is it really a BA Galleries - given your point on when it is considered a BA lounge)

DCtrAAveler likes this.