Lounge access: Do I have to have a ticket for that airline?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by four12, Dec 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hello all -

I am looking at the AmEx Platinum card, mainly for the lounge access benefit.

My question is; do I need to have a ticket for the airline whose lounge I want to use, or can I walk in with any boarding pass and use the facility?

2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    It all depends. More info is at www.americanexpress.com/platinum. The only airline club you can use without flying is US Airways. All others, you do need to have a ticket.

PS I did assume you reside in USA

3. Thanks for the reply. The situation I'm asking about is if I have, say, a Delta ticket for a flight, can I use the American Admiral's club, or do I need to be flying on American that day to use the Admiral's Club?

4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. To access AA Club you will need to have an AA boarding pass for the same day.
    From benefit terms and conditions: http://transformtravel.americanexpress.com/Benefits/Travel
    "
    TERMS AND CONDITIONS

PRINT PAGE

Airport Club Access Program

1 The Platinum member must be traveling. Name on ticket must match name on Platinum Card. (Ticket not required for US Airways® Clubs.) The Platinum member must be 18 years of age to enter the Airport Club Lounge without a parent or guardian for American Airlines Admirals Club® lounges. For Delta Sky Club™ lounges the member must be 18 where there is no self-service bar. The Platinum member must be 21 years of age to enter into all Airport Club Lounges where there is a self-service bar. Local age restrictions apply in non-U.S. locations. The Platinum member's spouse and children under the age of 21 or up to two companions may enter the club as complimentary guests. Code-share and affiliated lounge agreements may not apply. Employee travel-related benefit tickets are not eligible with American Airlines. The Platinum Card member must present his or her valid Card, government-issued I.D., and same day airline ticket to club agents. (Ticket not required for US Airways® Clubs.) Complimentary access is specifically for the airport club that corresponds to the airline operating the flight (access pertains to the aircraft, not the flight number) except with respect to American Airlines marketed code share flights with an American Airlines flight number which are also eligible for complimentary access to the lounge. Meeting rooms may be reserved for a nominal fee. Card members must adhere to all house rules of participating clubs. For a list of participating airport club locations, call Platinum Member Services. Partners and locations subject to change. Meeting rooms may be reserved for a nominal fee.

Priority Pass™ Select

2 These Terms and Conditions govern Platinum Card members’ participation in and use of the Priority Pass Select program. Priority Pass is an independent airport lounge access program. By enrolling in Priority Pass Select, you acknowledge and agree that American Express will verify your Card account number and provide updated Card account information to Priority Pass from time to time. Priority Pass will use this information to fulfill on the Priority Pass Select program and may use this information for marketing related to the program. Once enrolled, Platinum Card members in good standing may access participating Priority Pass Select lounges worldwide on a complimentary basis. Additional Gold Card members are not eligible for complimentary membership. The Priority Pass Select member must present his or her Priority Pass Select card and boarding pass to gain access to participating lounges. In some cases, Priority Pass Select member must be 21 years of age to enter without a parent or guardian. Priority Pass Select members must adhere to all house rules of participating clubs. Amenities may vary among airport lounge locations. Conference rooms may be reserved for a nominal fee. Priority Pass Select lounge partners and locations are subject to change. Member is liable for all accompanying guest visits and will be automatically charged $27 per guest after it has been reported by the participating lounge. All Priority Pass Select members must adhere to the Priority Pass Conditions of Use which will be sent to you with your membership package, and can be viewed at www.prioritypass.com/select. Upon receipt of your enrollment information, Priority Pass will process your membership and send you your personalized membership card together with your Priority Pass Select lounge listings, which you should receive within 10-14 days.

Airspace Lounge

3 This benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card members (“Card member”). Card member must present his or her valid Card and government-issued I.D. Ticket not required for Airspace Lounges. In some cases, Card member must be 21 years of age to enter without a parent or guardian. The Card member's spouse and children under the age of 21 or up to two companions may enter the club as complimentary guests. Card member must adhere to all house rules of participating lounges. Card members and his or her guests will receive all of the complimentary benefits and amenities afforded to the Airspace Lounge customers, as well as access to purchase non-complimentary items. Some product features may be subject to additional charges. Airspace Lounge locations are subject to change."​

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    For Delta and AA access using the Platinum card, you need to be flying them.
    For US Airways using the Platinum card, you do not.

For access to lounges using the Priority Pass that is included with the Platinum Card, you can be flying any airline.