Lounge Access and passport formalities on Multi-Class Multi-City Itinerary

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Oct 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, all - perhaps someone can give a comprehensive answer to my various options.
    The overall routing is (Outbound) SFO/MUC C, MUC/FRA C, FRA/TLV C (Return) TLV/FRA C, FRA/MUC C, MUC/SFO F. My experience on LH is fairly limited, and my experience @ FRA isn't memorable in a good way.

SFO/MUC - I presume just the UA RCC

MUC/FRA - I presume I have to "enter" the EU @MUC. (Also, assuming I clear for F on the SFO/MUC, there's probably no way to access the F lounge for a Schengen flight.) - What are the lounge options? 2:30 ground time.

FRA/TLV - 1:25 ground time - I presume I have to "exit" the EU @ FRA. Probably no time even for a lounge, but if so, which/where?

TLV/FRA - I assume LH still uses the shared (Dan?) lounge and I presume it remains open all night.

FRA/MUC - 2:30 ground time. I assume I re-enter the EU here. My segment after this segment is in F - any chance of an F lounge/terminal visit? Or will I be stuck in Schengenland?

MUC/SFO - 3:00 ground time. Looks like an F lounge - what should I expect out of the MUC F lounge? (All the chatter is always about FRA.)

Thanks!

2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    MUC FCL is pretty much the same as the two FCLs in FRA. As for your other questions, will let others answer in more detail as my experiences of transfers to "domestic" flights at MUC from international have been all handled in the FCL which has its own immigration/customs and no security check is needed when arriving from the US. Generally though, TLV flights may leave from the C wing at FRA, which requires its own passport/security procedures and the lounges are one helluva walk from where you'll be arriving. Dan lounge at TLV is a poor excuse for a premium class lounge, almost as bad as the Shanghai airlines lounge at PVG!

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO - lounges are UA & SQ.

MUC - no access to LH FCL unless arriving or departing on LH F, access to LH Business (or Senator if have *G status); yes need to clear immigration

FRA - 1:25 has enough time for quick lounge visit in pier A (most likely arrival) but beware of how long it may take to get to the gate (including allowing time to clear immigration)

TLV - was Dan lounge last time I flew

FRA - you'll arrive in C but have to clear immigration, if MUC-SFO is on LH F then can use LH FCL (A26 is most convenient) or FCT otherwise the Senator lounge (again in A is likely to be most convenient)

MUC - if departing on LH F then can use FCL (clear immigration in the lounge) otherwise Senator lounge (non-schengen is the most convenient)

Bay Pisco Shark likes this.
  4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Curious why all but the final segment is in C rather than F if this is an award. Understand the "domestic/intra-European" but were you not able to get F seats? Seems like a waste of miles for just one segment which is a daytime flight.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It may be a revenue ticket with one segment upgraded using miles or evouchers or cash?

I often buy a ticket in C and upgrade one of the longhaul legs (and MUC/SFO is almost 12 hours in the air) using evouchers or miles (actually to the USA usually miles and to Asia evouchers).

6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    2 one way UA awards. The outbound is C miles, the return is F miles. If the outbound opens up in F, I'll reissue. (I didn't have to burn for an F RT this way).

In any event, that "daytime" flight is fairly late, arrives SFO late, I'll be 10 timezones later in my head, and will have been up the entire night prior (with arrival @TLV about 230am).

7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just a bit confused (the trip is finally almost here) - @ FRA if I am arriving Int'l and then flying domestic, am I going to not be able to access the FCL after we clear immigration?

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are arriving intl F on Lufthansa metal (no codeshare etc) and departing on a Lufthansa flight- domestic or otherwise- you can access the FCL or the FCT after clearing passport control.

Bay Pisco Shark likes this.
  9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What if I'm arriving FRA LH C (Int'l), connecting to LH C domestic, and then LH F (from MUC), can I access a FCL @ FRA?

10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually, not enough time for a lounge visit. Arrival with bus - actually, that was pretty quick, but then a haul to C, and then TLV gate security - boarding started less than 10 minutes after passing through the special TLV gate security.