Lots of leg room

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Tropicbird, Dec 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Tropicbird

Tropicbird Active Member

Status Points:
    feetontheplane.jpg As the year comes to an end, I find my fellow passengers as fascinating as ever. Over the weekend I was sitting in seat 4B on a Delta MD-90, the last row of first, flying from ATL to STL. Toward the end of the flight I looked to my right, and this is what I saw. I kind of liked how the guy made use of the first-class curtain as a little blanket for his legs. View attachment 53069

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    Betty Boop and MSYgirl like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So many people don't realize how many germs are sitting on that carpet. Do people think they steam clean before the next flight takes off? If that were true, planes would never be on time.

What grosses me out is the number of different bacteria that can be absorbed through the skin, some just by walking barefoot.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've decided that I'm going to start carrying little packets of ketchup with me whenever I fly, just to sprinkle these type of people inconspicuously.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a good chance I might accidentally step on those feet as I get out of my seat; after all, I would not look down to see if there were any feet sticking out from under the curtain.

5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bet there are more and nastier germs on tray tables, seat belts, fabric seat cushions, and overhead bins. Keep in mind that germs need to feed, and that's anything moist & organic.

MSYgirl likes this.
  6. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my last flight the two guys in 20 A and B were staring at me in 20J because I was using antibiotic wipes to clean every surface in my vicinity. Since I started doing that though I don't get sick anymore. I always carry extra since some people ask if they can have one. I would have gladly handed one to the guy in the picture to clean his feet. :D

Max M, MX and Sammich like this.
  7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another factoid: alcohol wipes do not contribute to breeding super-bugs, so don't be concerned about overusing it. That's because alcohol doesn't strictly kill, but dehydrates the germs and stops them from breeding (which is all we need). On the other hand ingredients like triclosan in "anti-bacterial" toiletries should be avoided, as they do contribute to breeding super-bugs.

Max M and MSYgirl like this.
  8. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Disgusting.

9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone trained in evolutionary biology, even assuming the statement about interfering with the reproductive process is true (it does not sound reasonable to attribute such a singular effect to the very broad class of organisms encompassed by the term "germs"), I fail to see why there's any selective difference between preventing reproduction and actually killing the organism. They are the same thing from the viewpoint of natural selection, and their evolutionary effect on the population as a whole should be indistinguishable.

10. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the present context, the correct term should be bacteria (rather than germs). They respond to alcohol by thickening their membranes and going into hybernation. While it's theoretically possible for cells to evolve to reproduce in concentrated alcohol, it's not happening. So gauge your risks accordingly.

11. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Germs are one thing but being low class by taking your shoes off on public transportation is another issue. Does this person do this on the bus or in a taxi, subway? Doubt it.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I have been on bus, taxi or subway rides that exceeded an hour.

I do take my shoes off on flights > 2 hrs. But I keep'em under the seat in font of me/my general bulkhead/seating area and I wear socks.

daninstl and viguera like this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think socks make all the difference though. I wouldn't mind seeing someone stroll down the airplane aisle with socks, although I would certainly question the wisdom of the whole thing.

daninstl likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't walk around the plane in socks. Unless I just get up to get something out of the overhead bin, I put the shoes back on when I wander around the cabin.

If someone wanted to take their shoes (flip flops?) off while not wearing socks, that would be fine with me as long as they keep their feet to themselves. But the same is true with socks... I wouldn't want someone's socked feet stick out from under the curtain (or at head level on the bulkhead... Or on my arm rest if I sit in the row in front of them)

viguera likes this.
  15. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never could understand people wearing flip flops when traveling on airplanes. It's not the shoes off deal but the walking. I always seem to walk miles at the airports and such and flip flops aren't really great walking shoes in my opinion.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Me neither. I wear them at my designation if my designation is a resort/beach, from the room to the pool or to the beach. Never when I am traveling/sightseeing/...

daninstl likes this.
  17. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like Jeff Goldblums little speech in Jurrasic Park!

viguera likes this.
  18. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was looking for the feet thread and finally found it! I wanted to add this gem from my recent trip.

Do these belong to anyone here? :D

Attached Files:

viguera and Counsellor like this.
  19. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If we're going to rant about people walking barefoot or in socks, how about the airport security queues? An endless line of people doing just that -- kinda disgusting. Makes us all appreciate pre-check even more :). (Though truth be told, I'm not a germaphobe but that wouldn't make for a good story.)

MSYgirl likes this.
  20. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I don't put my feet on the bulkhead wall, but I do carry a pair of soft moccasin house slippers with me in my carry-on on Trans-oceanic or Transcon flights, and change into them as soon as we finish rotation and initial ascent. I don't like wearing shoes on the long flights (pressure change makes my feet swell, and shoes become very uncomfortable) but I also don't like going into the toilets in stocking feet for obvious reasons, so this is a good compromise.

MSYgirl likes this.