Lots of early upgrades today

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MSPeconomist, Jan 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In watching the upgrades at the DM and PM window today for a Monday mid afternoon notoriously elite heavy route, I noticed three things:

EUA tended to run early, with a DL#16XX mainline flight processed by 5:10pm in ATL.

V inventory was generous. On a 757 with 22 FC seats, 11 upgrades were done at the window, saving only 2 for late purchase. This is a route where P is being offered for over $1600 RT with full Y RT at almost $2000.

As a DM on an H fare, I might have been the highest ranked elite to be upgraded on the flight in that I was assigned the best available FC seat.

Just a few data points for anyone interested or concerned about FCM.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Revised data: By about 5:20pm ATL time, one more upgrade was apparently processed or purchased, so that only one FC seat remains of 22. ADDED.However, DL is still offering to sell two P class tickets for the flight. How can this be? I thought that DL does not overbook/oversell FC deliberately.

Every flight for Monday, including one-stop connections, is now showing no upgrades available.

Some flights on this route at other times, such as around noon, seem to have had far less V inventory in relative and absolute terms, with few if any upgrades being given out today by DL at the window.Could meals in FC be the difference?

I don't seem any obvious evidence that DL decreased V inventory just before the EUA DM and PM window today onthis route as some people have specuated or feared is happening.

rwoman and DeltaExpert like this.
  3. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possible Equipment Swap? Especially since you say its a 757.

rwoman likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, the flight has been scheduled as a 757 for at least about a month, although IIRC it was a version with more than 22 FC seats last week.

rwoman likes this.
  5. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    If only my IAD-ATL for Sunday looked like it had any chance for an upgrade. For some reason, late last week the two afternoon flights went from F9 to F1 or F2 with still only one or two seats occupied on the seat map, and all V inventory was eliminated prior to the DM/PM window opening. Fortunately, Y looks very empty, so shouldn't be a bad flight. Even if I did score the advance upgrade, my hope is not to be on that flight. I'm dreaming of CDG-IAD being on time so I can dart through Global Entry and persuade the GA for the earlier flight to let me on it so I have more time in ATL. The last thing I want is an hour to connect in ATL, but it was the only thing available.

6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jeff R is throwing you a bone after the howls of outrage over on FT about FCM causing ug rates to plummet.

See if it lasts all year.