Lots of Chase cards.... now which Barclay's card????

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Free2travel, Aug 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Free2travel

Free2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi:
    I'm hoping the experts here can push me in the correct direction.

I currently hold:
    Chase Sapphire
    Chase Southwest
    Chase Disney (keep it because of age)

American Express Delta Gold
    Discover (my oldest card)

We are traveling to Aruba next year and Hawaii or Europe the following. Any suggestions on which card to get next?

I was thinking an US Air card because it can always be used in the Caribbean. At the moment, I'm planning on flipping my SW points to Air Tran for our Aruba trip but our dates haven't been released so I want to see the price before I book. If Air Tran is too high, we'll fly US Air. Is this a good first card with Barclay's Bank?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
    Michelle

2. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    dstober, Newscience, tondoleo and 2 others like this.
  3. Free2travel

Status Points:
    I will absolutely speak with the above blogger but he states that a person should wait 91 days between applications and before consulting with him. I've never had a Barclay's card but I have a large expense coming up. My son's silver trumpet should cover most minimum spends. LOL. However, my last credit card application was approved with Chase only 45 days ago.

Will my recent application with Chase hurt a new application with Barclay?

Newscience, tondoleo and degania like this.
  4. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    It might. Barclay's have a reputation for being difficult. Be prepared to talk to them. Certainly the US Air card is the most attractive one to me anyways.

Newscience and tondoleo like this.
  5. chicago_matt

chicago_matt Member

Status Points:
    I second the US Air card in the event it may go away. If merger doesn't go through still have useful miles. Have a couple chase cards but don't have a sense how many non chase pulls. If those are your only recent (last 12 mo) then I'd imagine you are fine -- credit score, pay bills withstanding.

6. boggio1

boggio1 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip.

7. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know it's not what you asked but have you thought of American and United. Both fly to where you want to go to and are easier to redeem at low levels. SPG card converts to American at 1 Starwood to 1.25 American miles. If you want to go to Asia and Hawaii on the same ticket consider American which will give you a stop in Hawaii. United will also but many times will send you thru Guam. That being your US entry will keep you from stopping in Hawaii. Of course your Chase miles could convert to United.

tondoleo and degania like this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPG, has a nice hotel in Aruba, you can use miles and points also
    US Air seems to have a good flight schedule to the island.

Newscience and tondoleo like this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. I now have 2 Chase cards and recently applied for a 3rd. I found it interesting that I was approved online for #'s 1-2, but with #3, I received a message stating that "I would receive a (snail) mail response from Chase w/in 30 days." I'm still waiting. Of course, in the interim, I've received a mail offer for yet another Chase card! I suspect that there may be an upper limit of Chase cards allowed for any one individual?

tondoleo likes this.
  10. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not an upper limit on cards, but an upper limit to the total credit line for each individual. Give the Chase reconsideration line a call; if the issue with your most recent application is that they're leery of extending you more credit, you can still get the card by reducing the credit lines on your other cards to free up some credit for the new card. That's what I had to do last month to get my application for Chase Freedom approved. I let them reduce my credit limit on my United Mileage Plus Visa and Sapphire Preferred VISA, and then they applied that credit to the Chase Freedom card. So I went from 2 cards to 3, but with no change in my overall credit line with Chase.

11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is GREAT advice! Thank you!! :cool:

tondoleo likes this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Agree on the USAir card since it likely goes away next year. Also, Hyatt has a beautiful property in Aruba, arguably nicer than SPG. Your Chase UR points can be used there.

dstober, tondoleo and Newscience like this.
  13. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, moongoddess,
    An interesting development. My new (#3) Chase card arrived. Chase simply reduced the credit limit for me on another one of my existing Chase cards. Now that works very well all the way around! :)
    Newscience

tondoleo likes this.
  14. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hurrah! Chase seems to be a pretty easy bank to deal with; they're more willing to be flexible than most. Glad you got your third card, Newscience.

15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would get the US Air card as it may not be around much longer and is very churnable. The miles should ultimately become AA miles which are also great for Caribbean travel. You might want to check with Chase about getting the Hyatt card also for the free nights.

16. Ernyandbert

Ernyandbert Member

Status Points:
    This has got me thinking about my own barclay's card

:rolleyes:

marcwint55 likes this.
  17. Free2travel

Status Points:
    Are you saying that you can get more than one US Air card when you say it's very churnable? How long should I wait? I ended up taking the advice of the above mentioned consultant and applied/received a Barclay's Arrival Mastercard and a Chase Freedom. Next churn, I'll go for a US Air Card but am unsure what I'll add with it.

Thanks for all the advice!

Michelle

marcwint55 likes this.
  18. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had four of them up till now, with each one getting me another sign up bonus. I would wait about 6 months between cards, assuming the card is still available. Chase has the 100k BA bonus available now.

19. Free2travel

Status Points:
    How long did you keep each card? Thanks.