Lost seat allocation: Tough Luck?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Chad, Feb 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming flight LAX-JFK and have had seat 2D (on the 762) booked for a couple of months. I now see the cabin is full and I've been shunted to the window at 2J.

Is there anything I can do or do I just have to accept that somebody the airline finds more important has thrown a bit of a tanty and taking my (previously) pre-allocated seat?

BTW if a milepointer is in 2D brace yourself for 5.5 hours of death stares coming from 2J.

perryplatypus and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  2. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA does not usually shift people's seats. Have you tried calling and asking about it?

perryplatypus likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is misunderstood by many travelers. You reserve a particular seat on a flight, but unfortunately that does not guarantee you the seat. Usually you get the seat you reserve. I'm sure a $15 seat guarantee fee is on the way. :(

perryplatypus and MX like this.
  4. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would call to see if they can move you and also If you have expert flyer I would also but in a seat alert and if something opens up you can jump on it and change your seat.

anabolism likes this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wave hi to the FAM?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

MX and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be glad you have a window in row 2 and not in row 32, where you'd have to get not one but two other people to crawl out of their seats to give you access to the lineup for the economy-class bathroom. :)

Enjoy the view and relax; it could be a lot worse.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems to be an increasing trend at United to spread our carefully selected family seats to the 5 corners of the cabin. Not so bad on 3-3 cabins, where people are generous enough to swap, but happened recently on a 767 - my daughter was thrown into the back row, middle of the middle. Looks like daddy is going to be roughin' it in the back row!

8. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    this recently happened to me for the first time since switching to AA - LAX-ORD

though it may have been due to an equipment swap (though just one 737 for another, which i wouldn't have thought would result in this)

what was intersting was that the CK desk, normally extremely proactive, didn't call me. i caught it when i checked in - and it was only luck that I was able to get a decent seat (bulkhead isle unblocked) - instead of my (i assume randomly assigned) row 18 middle

out of curiosity i asked a CK agent in LA to look into what had happened - and she couldn't explain it. She said she could see that i had my old seat but couldn't explain (or couldn't disclose) who had moved me or why. she didn't mention the equipment swap - i overheard the pilot talking about getting an 'old' 737 instead of the planned 'new' 737

goes to prove you just have to be diligent...

flyforawg likes this.
  9. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Obviously seating is never guaranteed, just surprised to be pre-moved, always thought that sort of thing would happen on the day of travel.

However Mr 2D turned out to be a true DYKWIA type, in fact one of the worse I have ever spotted out in the wild, so if shifting me gave an AAgent somewhere a little bit of peace, I can live with that.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pics or it didn't happen. :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint