lost in the miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by mthr714, Nov 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mthr714

mthr714 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello, brand spankin newbie here.
    My son is getting his master's degree in the UK and I am determined to take the family (4) to see him in March 2015. We have a whopping 40,000 miles with Barclay's US Air card. and 12,000 with a Wells Fargo rewards card. I have been told I need to take out the American Airlines cards but I have no friggin idea what is the best move. Should I maybe buy miles from US Air? Take out the American Air card? Resign myself to paying for all 4 tickets? I never seem to accumulate enough miles to do anything with. Any sharing of knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know how people find the time to research all this! Thank you!!! Mthr

MX likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't buy miles outright. That's almost certainly the worst value proposition available.

The AA card is a huge sign-up bonus but you also need to be able to meed a high minimum spend. If you cannot do that then it isn't going to help much.

Are you hoping only to accumulate via CC earning or do you also travel?

satman40 and MX like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)
    Unfortunately, for your March 2015 trip it would be unrealistic for you to "research all this" (i.e. award travel), accumulate enough miles, and find award availability for 4 people. I would rather focus on watching the market and finding a good cash deal. You can then split the travel expense between your Barclay and WF accounts, so those reward points would offset your charges.

You'll learn enough about airline rewards for your subsequent trips, and you've certainly come to the right place for that info!

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Where are you trying to depart from in the US to get to the UK? That may impact which CCs you want to apply for.

As others have said, it's unrealistic to think you'll amass enough points to book award tickets for your early 2015 trip.

satman40 likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is always best to be prepared before you leave the ground.

This trip should have been preped a year ago, even a pro CC guy would need 6 months,

It does not take time for research, it takes action.

We do a few thousand miles everyday, at the end of the month it adds up,

We never work at it, it is just a fun game.

MX likes this.
  6. mauld

mauld Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't count on using miles for the tix, with barely 3 months to go and the need for 4 seats on the same flight, it would be unrealistic even to assume you would be able to get 4 award seats even if you had the necessary miles in your account.