lost baggage compensation ??

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Gaucho, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got back from a trip to the US on American... and they lost my bags, twice. The first time they were delivered to me 3 hours late... I had to miss a meeting in Houston because I had to wait for them to come in on a later flight. Now, on my return leg from LAX to EZE, they failed to put them on my MIA connection because they say they ran out of space (on a 777) because the flight was full due to cancelled flights the last couple of days.

I have still to receive my three bags here in EZE..... waiting on them.

Does anybody know what the usual AA policy is with this...? I have paid over $400 on various related baggage fees on this trip to AA, as they are now very very strict with all things baggage related. I paid up.... and they messed up my bags on this trip, not once but twice.....

Any tips would be appreciated.... thanks !!
    Gaucho / Alex

Tenmoc likes this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    On your first flight, did you HAVE to wait 3 hours and miss your meeting? Usually the airline will arrange to bring the luggage to your location if your bags are behind you in transit. If the delays on the return were due to WX issues, the airlines may cite "act of God" and not claim liability. What I found that helps is usually a nice email letting them know of your inconviences and politely asking them if there is anything they can do for you. If you're nice about it, you may score a voucher or some other "comp".

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with 744, but I bet the best you'll see is a few thousand miles. Doesn't hurt to try though...the answer is always no if you don't ask.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  4. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    on a recent trip out of the country, my compensation was a spa kit. my bag arrived hours later. i was just happy to get it.

5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's one area where UA surpasses AA in that they offer dollar vouchers good towards future travel instead of customer service miles. I'd certainly ask for a refund of the baggage fees, but in the end I think you'll end up with miles instead.

Gaucho and JohnDeere19 like this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys.... this is great input, I will take this up with AA and report back with what they end up offering.

Thanks,
    Alex

7. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    One minor point here - your bags were not lost, they were delayed. Big difference. Lost bags result in cash compensation.

AA will deliver your delayed bags. If you choose to wait at the airport for your bags, that is your decision, and I doubt that AA would compensate you for the consequences of that decision. After 48 hours at a destination not your home, you can ask AA for authorization to purchase a few items. They will give you a dollar amount, you turn in receipts, and eventually get reimbursed. I don't think it works that way if your bags are delayed on your arrival back home - they expect you to take another pair of socks out of your sock drawer. Based on the experiences of others in the past, I doubt you will be getting anything much.

Gaucho likes this.
  8. yousavvy

yousavvy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was flying on AA award travel, my flight was canceled, and rebooked on their partner British Airways. I had my bags delayed on BA from mexico to london. I received clearance for a temporary, 200 gbp suite. When the bags turned up missing for good, I got that increased to the entire value of the missing clothes. Of note, they only pay 50% for clothes reported without a receipt.

Gaucho likes this.
  9. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Alex. Sorry to hear your bags are delayed.

I know when my bag enjoyed Paris so much in January it didn't come home I had to wait 2 weeks before filing for it being lost vs delayed. Still very upset with them over that even though they did give us 100% of stated value for our belongings, what we really wanted was our belongings, not their money.

For delayed bags I would guess about 2000 miles per bag. And at a minimum I feel they owe you your bag fees. I know this will not fly and probably won't even sit well with many on this list, but if they can not transport your bags when they're supposed to, they should not be allowed to charge you for transporting them.

Gaucho likes this.
  10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I agree with this sentiment in theory, if you look carefully I think you will find that the charge is for checking the bags in, not for transporting them, and AA will likely fall back on the position that they did check them in. I don't agree with that position, I think they should refund the bag fees at a minimum, but I would expect them to take that position.

Gaucho and Tenmoc like this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.... I had no choice but to wait for them, because the baggage person at the AA desk explained that they could not guarantee they would be able to get me my bags ontime later that day because I was going to spend the night in a "small city"... I spent that evening in St. Francisville LA.... had I had a hotel in a "larger" city like Baton Rouge, or New Orleans... they would have been sure.... this was the reason I had to wait to get my bags.. this was a complicated trip for me... and I had commercial samples inside those bags that I could not afford to not have with me during this road show... it would have done no good to have AA baggage service trying to "chase" me during my trip at the various locations I was going to.

12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That makes perfect sense. Didn't realize that they had a limited geographic range for getting bags to you. Did you email or call them?

Gaucho likes this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah.... AA's stock probably rose this past week due to my baggage fees...? I got dinged for a 3rd bag on three occasions..... and twice for overweight bags. Also, the charges went up as I continued on my trip.... the first time I got an excess weight charge it was charged at $60.. but the next time they took $100 from me....

I know the airlines are struggling... but considering how strict AA has gotten with bag related fees.... I think the next time Im up in the states I will fly the low cost airlines.... it doesnt pay to stick with "full service" carriers if they still screw you everytime they have a chance..... I dunno, I realize Im no longer a coveted flyer for AA but the overall experience with all these fees is that it certainly does not do much to grow customer loyalty. As strict as they were for charging me... I have to wonder how flexible they will be when they mess up and dont deliver the bags...... I will report back on what they tell me.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I emailed them...... I will wait to see what they offer... I may choose to call them if I have to "escalate".... but I will do nothing without posting here and awaiting for you guys to give me proper advice... ;)

15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Were your commercial samples Malbec in nature?

Gaucho likes this.
  16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.... Malbecs, Malbec Blends.... sparkling wines... dessert wines.... etc.

Tenmoc and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  17. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Malbec is my absolute favorite!!

Gaucho likes this.
  18. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    This further information makes your situation much clearer. The only suggestion I can offer (which may or may not be helpful) is on future trips to ship your commercial samples via express prior to traveling, so that they are waiting for you upon arrival. That might not be practical, depending on the amount of samples and the cost of shipping.
    You are caught in a difficult situation. Normally, I would not put anything necessary for the success of a business trip in checked bags. Your samples cannot go in carry-on bags. Express may be prohibitively expensive. Rock---->You<-----Hard place.

Gaucho and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  19. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I may have found some of your samples in my wine fridge. :D

Lufthansa Flyer and Gaucho like this.
  20. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:

You can collect for what was in your lost bag on your home owners insurance

21. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can collect for what was in your lost bag on your home owners insurance

22. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Possibly, if the bag was truly lost. If it was merely delayed, not so much.

23. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have collected on my home owners for lost bags , when you travel with business clothes for long periods ,just add up the value and it will be substantial--and if you are a woman just fig. out the cost of all the make up creams etc ,with the limit of what you can take on board ,you fill up that suitcase .

24. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    The OP's bags on his outbound flight were not lost, merely delayed. On his return flight, they may be lost or maybe delayed, it is a bit too soon to tell.

Gaucho likes this.
  25. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    My point was meant as general info,not about "her" bag