Lost and Damaged Luggage on First Class

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by IberianNomad, Jun 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. IberianNomad

IberianNomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello MP,

I recently returned from a trip to the States on a First class award ticket. Unfortunately, my bags went missing and so far I have only received one out of two with some visible damage. The classes and airlines I flew were as follows:

First (US Airways) - First (US Airways) - First (Cathay Pacific) - Business (Dragon Air)

I landed on 6/17 and as of 6/20 I have only received one bag, nothing missing inside the bag but the luggage set (which was brand new) is significantly scratched (see image).

Is there anything I can claim ? Who is ultimately responsible? American/US Airways, Cathay Pacific or Dragon Air?

A friend of mine said that considering I flew on First Class on Cathay Pacific my bags should have been handled better and that asking for miles or a voucher is perfectly reasonable. I tried to wash/clean the bag but those are actual deep scratches.

Thoughts?

M

IMG_7832.jpg

Newscience likes this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is unfortunate in many ways. Dragon Air being the last carrier will most likely be the responsible carrier.
    It also proves that the Samsonite Gorrillas are still in business.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last carrier is responsible for luggage. I presume they sort it out among themselves as to financial responsibility, but don't know the details.

If you're not happy with the result, nothing says you can't contact the other carrier and ask for something more, but there's no legal requirement for them to respond. However, if the other carrier is your "usual" they might offer something to maintain the relationship.

Off topic, but -- nice carpet.

4. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Thank you guys! I'll just contact ALL three airlines and see what happens. Unfortunately I'm still waiting on the second bag and haven't heard from Dragon Air.

[QUOTE=" Off topic, but -- nice carpet.[/QUOTE]

I brought it with me from Afghanistan after my 2011 deployment!

Newscience likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen baggage handlers put on velvet gloves when they come across bags with priority stickers. They get tossed around with the same disdain for other's property as those of every other passenger.

6. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is unfortunate, especially the lost bag. We have all been through this situation. The OP should be ready to provide the carrier with a list of contents to support their claim. The damaged bag will probably go to a repair facility, at carriers expense, and be repaired as good as possible. I can't see it being replaced, it is like a tear or broken zipper repair. After that it will be regarded as normal wear and tear.

Newscience likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I'm beginning to see the logic of all black luggage. Sorry for your situation. Hope it's resolved satisfactorily.

Newscience likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bag does not appear to be damaged in a manner which an airline will care about. A bit scuffed up but that's considered normal wear and tear IME.

9. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whatever credit card you used to pay the taxes/fees on the award ticket may over some sort of lost luggage reimbursement, also.

As for the scratched bag, let it go. It might be somewhat heavier than normal wear and tear, but unless the bag's functionality has been compromised (e.g. it will no longer stay closed), no one is going to care.

Counsellor and Newscience like this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That suitcase may just have gotten it's airline badge of honor sooner than normal. You can always ask, but I doubt you get much, if anything, in the way of compensation.

Wandering Aramean and Newscience like this.
  11. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    I've missed you and your remarks...lol

12. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Regarding the "damaged" suitcase you guys are right! I'll let it go since I'm sure one could argue it's considered normal wear and tear.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Counsellor likes this.
  13. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if "abnormal" wear and tear, the response is likely to be that any damage is cosmetic rather than functional.

Nice sharp visage on the carpet. If hand-woven, that usually indicates higher quality, possibly higher thread count, too.

IberianNomad likes this.
  14. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will +1 the comments that your bag is not damaged enough to warrant any kind of remuneration from anyone. Based on the wear patterns, it looks like your bag probably got jammed on top of a moving part for quite some time before someone noticed or it became dislodged on its own. There's no way a person handling a bag could cause damage in that fashion. As rough as baggage handlers can be, they only handle bags for a matter of a few seconds, and simply rotating the bag around once or twice on any surface I can imagine (unless your bag weighed a few thousand pounds) wouldn't have done that. I also seriously doubt anyone did this intentionally.

It is unfortunate because it's a pretty bag, but ultimately the suitcase is only there to protect the contents, and each scar on any well-traveled bag should serve as a hopefully fond memory of a trip. :) Very sorry about the lost one though and hope it turns up.

15. bobdelon

bobdelon Member

Status Points:
    Last carrier is responsible for luggage +1

16. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Thanks guys!