Lost almost 300,000 miles.

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by JazzFest, Jul 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. JazzFest

JazzFest Member

Status Points:
    I just had the pleasure of learning I have lost my US Airways miles. According to the service center, it seems the deadline has past and no exceptions can be made. February 28th of this year was my line in the sand to recoup the miles. I have not flown US Air for a few years due to a job posting. Now that I am home, I went on to book a flight and found almost 300k in miles expired. US Air claims they sent emails. I have been a member of their FF program since 1987. Do I have any recourse or option other than walking away from this airline? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. JazzFest

JazzFest Member

Status Points:

charlilo and jbcarioca like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Yeah you can reactivate anything above 100k miles for a $400 fee. Or you can get a US credit card and make a qualifying purchase.

Having to do either one of these sucks, but they probably figure you have enough ways to keep your account active that it's really, really difficult to accidentally let miles expire. And especially that many miles.

GoodBoy, jbcarioca, Aktchi and 3 others like this.
  5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can always try to sue them in small claims court for the value of said miles based on what they charge and hope they don't show.

GoodBoy, jbcarioca and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even though the terms of the program about mileage expiration are clear and US provides methods to generate free activity on your account to prevent expiration?

Even though you can, why would you if its your own fault?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca, Aktchi, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I seem to recall a poster on MP stating he did take USAir to small claims court twice & got monetary compensation for miles lost. So while I believe I understand the reason for your post, if I lost <100k and some reasoning (posted below) didn't get me anywhere, I'd give small claims a try. For 25k, I wouldn't try.
    fully explain situation (mea culpa), while stressing your past & potential future loyalty.

If they don't budge, ask for a goal or challenge to reinstate your miles, something like you have business coming up and would like to give your future flights to USAir but if they are going to get any of your future business, you will need your miles reinstated after completion of a goal/challenge.

I personally walk if a company yanks the carpet from me (yeah yeah I know the rules in the T&Cs, so rule quoters save your typing).

akcae, GoodBoy, jbcarioca and 3 others like this.
  8. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't there some legalese in the terms for these FF programs that all disputes go to an arbitrator? Not sure just asking.

GoodBoy and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most small claims court procedures and judges don't follow the rules of "real court." Were the airline to appeal, they'd likely win on this aspect... but it's often cheaper to just pay whatever the SC settlement is, unfortunately.

boondr, GoodBoy, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  10. landrew

landrew Silver Member

Status Points:
    American did the same to me a coupla years ago and was unapologetic about the fact that they did not even bother to send an email. Customer's obligation to check their site for changed rules, said they. So have left them for good. Loyalty is apparently not of value if you change your flight patterns for a few years. Except maybe now at Air Canada!

GoodBoy and jbcarioca like this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused as to what "they did to you" vs what you did, specifically failing to keep your account active. I'd be a lot more sympathetic to "I failed to keep my account active..." than I would be "American screwed me!"

12. i went through a similar experience with QAN recently, they swiped 130K miles from the account, with no email warning me of expirary that they'd promised i'd get on previous occasions, i have four family member accounts, all different emails utilising three different servers, no excuse for QAN to say they'd sent it, when i spoke with corp in Melb, after calls to their call centre with no positive result, i found a helpful marketer of the airline that asked if there'd been any partner activity in the past six months, there had been with a car rental company, i contacted Budget, had the FF number added to the past bookings, got a PDF from them and emailed to Melb, and received the points back about a month later, in the case of QAN, they give you six months to do that. QAN don't even make your expiration date available on your website account:eek:

travelingmore likes this.
  13. BPMcDowell

BPMcDowell Member

Status Points:
    I'm quite sympathetic to the plight, but they did send you an email each month for 18 months prior to the expiration date noting that the date was looming. My wife doesn't travel much, but has slowly been accumulating enough US Airways miles to be worth something. Once or twice, I've gone in towards the 18 month mark and purchased 1,000 miles. They run specials periodically.

GoodBoy and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. louisquinze

louisquinze Member

Status Points:
    How about campaigning to get rid of FF expiry dates? That would solve these problems.

15. having a use by date is lucrative for the airlines, they get to write off quite a few

LETTERBOY and estnet like this.
  16. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep.... just imagine being able to write off large portions of your debts after 18 mo or 3 yrs - wouldn't you jump at the chance:p Not saying I agree with the airlines, tho

LETTERBOY and GoodBoy like this.
  17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be great, but it's really not that hard to keep a FF account active.

GoodBoy likes this.
  18. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:

Delta did that. Now you just have to change SkyPesos™ into a useful airline currency. :p

GoodBoy and LETTERBOY like this.
  19. AVLedie

AVLedie Active Member

Status Points:

20. AVLedie

AVLedie Active Member

Status Points:
    Mike, I'm curious as to whate the "methods to generate free activity on your account" are?

eponymous_coward and GoodBoy like this.
  21. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Audience rewards trivia is one if them. Not free, but you can by something for $1 in the diningd program as well.

22. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a thread here recently with a trivia game that awarded miles and didn't require anything to participate. Those run relatively often. Dining rewards for miles where you dine work, etc.

LETTERBOY and GoodBoy like this.
  23. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because I know of a few cases where it has worked in the past. Plus, the worst case is you lose 100-200 bucks trying to reclaim something i'd value at over 3,000...a good bet in my mind.

GoodBoy likes this.
  24. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps. We just have different ethics.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  25. UA My Points are sending out solicitations for 30-50 points to do quizzes, no cost, you can always buy an i tune, something cheap to create activity