Losing my job because of LAN?

Discussion in 'LAN | LANPASS' started by zpaul, Nov 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    IRROPS last Monday "delayed" LA751 GIG-SCL via GRU (after sending us on our way with taxi, hotel and meal vouchers they tell us that the flight left 11 hours later) and we were supposedly "protected" on the same flight next day. Didn't happen.

It is now Thursday night, and today they finally told me that I am confirmed on LA751 next Monday, a full week after the original flight. Reasons for such a long delay are oversold flights, too many pax to be re-accommodated from other cancelled flights, and the holiday next Tuesday.

None of this matters to my boss, who sent me a pretty strong email last night, including, "Es poco presentable el tema de los vuelos," which basically says that he doesn't believe me (plus it's Rio, so I get that it looks like I could be trying for more beach time!). The company isn't tech-y at all, so telecommuting is not part of the culture even though I've been on email every day - work doesn't count unless it's done in the office.

Any experience out there with these situations? Do I need to do the equivalent of getting a note from my Mom? Do airlines even do that?

On the bright side, we got three nights at the Sheraton Barra...!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any other airline you could fly? (even if you may have to cover the cost yourself)

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the deal, I don't have the funds for a new ticket. LAN has many more flights from GRU, as well, but between the one-way ticket and luggage overage fees (I'm in J from GIG) it's not an option, either.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear of your plight and hopefully the boss is more bark than bite.

Can you do the Sat direct flight on Lan (economy) and apply the difference between a J flight and one in economy to the luggage overage fees. LAN 773 on Sat is selling for $703 on Orbitz. There is also a connecting flight (via Gru - LAN751) that leaves at 3pm today for about $850 in Econ.

jbcarioca and zpaul like this.
  5. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

This is far more complicated than it needs to be, but right now they're being stubborn. While I've told them I'll take a seat in any cabin they won't refund the difference, or pay the luggage overage on TAM or GOL to cover the domestic overweight fees, especially as I am confirmed on Monday. Any further changes they say are voluntary (!?!).

This is all via the call center; the LAN employees at the airport are working with me best, and say they will put me on any flights with availability once they close, and tomorrow does seem to be my best bet. Fingers crossed!

As it stands, getting back to be at the office Monday or Tuesday is no great difference - I've already been out for an extra week, basically. I'm going to stop worrying so much, do what I can to enjoy Rio on the cheap and let the cards fall where they may!

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck with your efforts to get home. At this point, I think your best bet is to deal with the airport staff, and maybe they can even waive the luggage fees is you tell them of your woes in getting home.

jbcarioca and zpaul like this.
  7. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, canucklehead. You're right - the staff at GIG are amazing, and they've tried. While my letter to LAN will be as scathing as possible, they will get a special mention for over-and-above effort!

jbcarioca and canucklehead like this.
  8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry you've been impacted so badly by irrops.

I don't know if it helps in your situation but yesterday I was facing similar with NZ but managed to leverage my elite status into getting rerouted (even opening up space for me) with only a little over a day's delay.

jbcarioca, canucklehead and zpaul like this.
  9. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to close this out on a high note...while upset, my boss came to the decision that I needed more time off, since I have to travel further to get "home" when visiting immediate family (even though Brazil wasn't a family trip). Result: formal reprimand for one week unscheduled absence placed in my employee file for six months, two weeks additional vacation time.

Overall, I think I came out of it alright. Thanks to everyone who tried to help and followed this saga! Gotta love LANners!

10. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take a bus/ferry/boat, you'll probably get better service than on lan anyways.

Glad to hear it worked out alright though.

zpaul likes this.