Lose status when miles used?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by browneye9000, Nov 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. browneye9000

browneye9000 New Member

Status Points:
    Obviously I'm a super newbie here so be gentle. Do I lose my status when I use my miles? I'm a whopping silver medallin skymiles member but will be gold in two weeks when I fly roundtrip to KSA again next week. If I use miles then do I lose status? Maybe a different way to ask is, is your status based on the miles you have available or the miles you've aquired (whether or not they are available to use).

2. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

Status Points:
    miles you have aquired

dstober and TravelBear like this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, earning status is an event. When it happens you will still have that status for the specified period (generally through the end of February of the year following the year for which you earned status), regardless of what happens to the miles which earned you the status.

Note that not every mile you earn counts as a "status" mile (often referred to as a "something qualifying mile" where "something" is program-specific). Bonus miles (the 25% extra miles you earn when you fly as a Silver, for instance) are not Medallion Qualifying Miles on Delta and sometimes miles you earn on a partner airline are not qualifying (but are still redeemable for award tickets).

dstober and TravelBear like this.
  4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will only confirm what the others have said. Your status is based on earned miles NOT how many you have in your bank. I am lowly Silver with DL and recently used 120k miles leaving me with very little in my account. I am still Silver.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Status is only based on earning, not usage. With DL you can also carry some miles over to next year if they were not used toward your qualification for the upcoming year.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  6. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I picked up lifetime Gold with AA many years ago, they just send me a card every year, do not even have to fly,

Sure miss the Mint, not the weight.

7. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mmmm, as other alreday said... NO, you dont loose status when you use your miles...

8. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish status was based on available miles.....

9. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wet dreams... ;)

10. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think of it as 2 different forms of "currency", each in a different bank account.

One you earn & can spend, just like a normal bank account :)
    You deposit from paid miles flown, or credit card signup / spend, or shopping, or hotel stay...
    This is the one you draw from when you use miles. The balance increases & decreases as you earn miles & spend miles. Number of miles that can be earned from flying is determined by distance, class of travel, airline partner involved...

The other account stores information.
    Kind of like your boss / spouse / mother giving you brownie points for good behaviour.
    This is made up from "bum in seat" paid miles flown / paid class flown / paid number of segments flown.
    This is the account that determines your status, & numbers can only increase through your membership year. Lots of good behaviour with the company will earn you higher status. And it never decreases through your membership year. ( ok, unlike when you really mess up with boss / spouse / mother ;) )

11. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent explanation.

I only add that the status account decreases to zero at renewal (depending on program this could be 1 January or your membership anniversary), except for any lifetime status.

dstober and storyteller like this.
  12. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    And in addition to my above explanation, congratulations on both Silver & now Gold :D

I remember how proudly I held my very 1st silver card... It represented a whole lot of flying.

dstober likes this.