Looong layover at DBX

Discussion in 'Emirates | Skywards' started by KyRoamer, Sep 17, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Friends will be arriving in Dubai (DXB) on a Monday in mid-April on Emirates 222 out of DFW at around noon. They are flying in Business Class and understand that upon deplaning the will be taken to the Emirates Business Class lounge. Their flight out is in Business Class on Emirates 658 to Maldives (MLE) at 4:20 am the next morning, some 16 hours later.

I've searched and found some scattered suggestions as to what to do. Most of the information was dated. I would appreciated your advice as to how best to pass those hours.

First question is where to leave their carry-ons. Can it be left securely in the lounge or is their a safer option.

Being that this is their first time in Dubai, their first thought was to hire a driver guide for a few hours. Question is do you have any suggestions for them as to names and costs. I read here that it is very easy to get around and that maybe they don't need a driver and guide. Thoughts?

I assume that it will be at least 1 pm, maybe later, before they are ready to leave the airport. How early do they need to be back to check-in and get to the gate? My guess is that they will want to return after touring, shopping and dinner no later than mid-night. Exhaustion might set in earlier as they will have had a long layover at DFW. They also have 12 hours on the way back also starting at noon. They should be fresher then.

Anyhow, I need an idea as to what time key tourist sites close. If they close by 6 pm, my friends will have about four hours to take in a site or two. After that they could take in a shopping center (but they are not big shoppers) and catch dinner somewhere.

They are reasonably adventuresome, he's a sailor, she's into crafts. Considering the limited time, where would you suggest they go. Also, is there an artsy shopping area (shopping centers are mostly the same world over and they have seen plenty of "high end" shops) and a good ethnic restaurant (anything other than a steakhouse) you'd recommend? Also, is there a place for drinks and entertainment that opens early enough that they could enjoy it and not have to rush back to the airport?

Safety is always a concern. Any advice here?

Dress suggestions. They will be comfortably dressed on the plane. What does the wife need to wear while they tour, shop and eat. And the husband usually flies in shorts. Does he need long pants in town.

Back to the starting point, do they need a guide to get the most out of their time? Someone said there was a tour desk at DBX. Know where? Can you arrange a four to six hour tour there? Is there a tour of restaurants and night spots?

Finally if you were to recommend a website to them for information on things to do, which would you recommend.

Thanks.

Newscience likes this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the DXB-MLE and MLE-DXB flights are the ones with shortest connection to DFW (of any flight regardless of availability) then STPC accommodation is available.

3. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is STPC?

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    STPC = stopover paid by carrier

in this case.EK pays for a hotel room for first & business class connecting passengers flying EK both legs where it is impossible (due to schedules not availability) to have a short connection (under 8 hours) in DXB

5. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if flying on an award ticket where there is an earlier flight but no availability, would taking the later flight mean no STPC? There was an 8 hour or less option but to get award business class tickets only the later flight (14 - 16 hour layover) was the only choice.

6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct no STPC.

7. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh well that's what I thought. Thanks for the quick reply.

So going over after a really long day -- long layover at DFW before flight to Dubai -- best advice I've seen is to get a hotel room and sleep it off. BUT on the way back, the flight to DXB is a short one also arriving at noon and with a 12 hour plus layover.

Any suggestions as to how best to use that time to see Dubai>

8. ndao52

ndao52 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello Kiwi, I have a quick question. I will have a business class flight from hong kong to dubai with 8.5 hours overnight layover then dubai to san francisco coming up. How do I request STPC for hotel room like you mentioned? Thank you for your help!!