Looks like United may be raising some fares a 2nd time.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Sedosi, Aug 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw a tweet on this last night from the Houston Chronicle's transportation reporter. I've been tracking a trip from Houston to Vegas in February for future purchase and it appears to be true. (at least on one domestic route).

Pre 1st fare hike: $433
    After 1st fare hike: $443
    Currently: $453

Travel is in Feb 2013 leaving on a Thursday arriving back in Houston on a Monday.

If so this would be the 2nd fare hike in two weeks. I wonder if anyone will match?

Anyone else noticed this? I haven't had time to search anything else. Can't find anything in the news about it yet.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a frame of reference, this sort of thing happens very often; it is rarely real "news" in the sense of something new, different or special happening. They don't always stick but carriers will do this a few dozen times each year.

3. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I realize this is hard for you to grasp, but there are things out there that are "newsworthy" that you might not consider so.

It was a simple question. I found it interesting being that they tried again so soon after the last. I'm interested to see if it sticks. YMMV of course but I'll keep in mind your standard for "news" the next time I ask a question on a public message board.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You're right. When something happens very often I don't consider it news. I thought that knowing this sort of thing happens dozens of times each year might be useful information. Sorry if you didn't find it such.

I'm not sure what answer you were looking for when you asked. Would, "ZOMG!!! This is crazy!!" have been better? It certainly wouldn't have been as accurate.

5. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're a teenager yes.

Or even better yet: "Yes, they probably are trying another price increase. I don't/do think it will stick." or "No, I haven't noticed it on other routes."

It's called answering the question asked without putting down the person asking the question. It's also known as tact. I've seen a lot of it on MilePoint, with just a few exceptions.

Unlike you I admit to not knowing, or caring to know, the intricacies of how the airlines work. I have a full time job, a family and really don't have the inclination to try and learn. I just want to learn enough to make my travelling fun, rewarding and as cheap as possible. For me it's a hobby.

All that being said I respect your knowledge on the industry. I find your blog an enlightening read. You DO know the intricacies of the airlines and how they work. If you think my questions are basic and dumb well....I'm sorry for that. MilePoint does have an ignore feature.

6. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did I mention in the previous post that I realize you're smarter at this air travel than I am? Because if I didn't it's true. I'm not trying to start a fight here, just looking for an answer to a question I thought was interesting.

Captain Oveur and mrredskin like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where's that "time out" button?

Ygor, Scottrick, rggale and 2 others like this.
  8. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right. I needed it there.

My apologies to all. Something about the response struck a wrong nerve. My apologies to WA for me being an a-hole.

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to apologize, I think WA comes off as a "Mister Know It All" and in his case his knowledge is rather impressive but is sorely lacking in tact sometimes... He calls people out as he sees it and 99.9% of the time it's actually needed. So don't take it personally :D.

bonnerbl and Sunshine7 like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No worries, and sorry if I came across as a jackass; that wasn't my intention here at all, though it is sometimes. I try to be much more blatant about it when that's the case.

FWIW, USA Today has decided it is news now, so maybe I'm wrong anyways. ;)

And they don't think that WN will match so they predict it will be rolled back soon enough.

11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something I have learned to appreciate. Excessive politeness sometimes does more harm than good.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  12. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    maybe on FT, but I haven't that to be the case here. maybe 1% of the time.

Sunshine7 and Captain Oveur like this.
  13. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have probably picked one of the worst (price wise) times to visit Vegas. Weekend plus (depending on which weekend) either Super Bowl or NCAA BB tourney action.

The price will probably change 573 times between now and Feb, it is still five months out. Plus depending on where in Houston you are look at flying out of San Antonio instead. (I live by Katy and have fond many times flights from SAT can be hundreds of $ cheaper. Especially when going west. You would have to make 2 flights instead of one but the savings could be enough to justify it)

14. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I visit Vegas 3-4 times per year. This will not be the actual itenerary I book. Just priced it out to illustrate the 2nd price increase.

Although, yes, I will be in Vegas during the Super Bowl.

mrredskin likes this.
  15. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    super bowl prices only last for about 5-6 days. there are still 22-23 other days that Vegas will be CHEAP during that month.

ncaa tourney isn't til mid-march, and only the round of 64 is when prices are very high.

Scottrick likes this.
  16. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a final aside UA has retreated. So this one failed.