Looking to maybe go to Sydney in October

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Bhsu21, May 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Bhsu21

Bhsu21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking to take my wife to Sydney in October. Hopefully can book a reward ticket in at least business class.

We have about 240,000 Skymiles between us and 193,000 Chase UR points.

What are our options to get there and do we have enough points?

We live in Jacksonville, FL if that helps.

Thank you!

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usa-Sydney in a premium cabin is a tough award to begin with. Finding 2 seats is even tougher. In your case, made worse by the fact that in neither account do you have enough points for two j awards to syd.

Are your Delta points in two separate accounts? If so, what is the allocation? You can transfer between accounts, but subject to a) limitations as to amount and b) an other than trivial fee.

At first blush, it doesn't feel like you have enough points in the right spots to do this.

Things that would help...Would you fly separately? Would you fly in Y? One award seat, one paid? Any of these "gives" would open things up significantly.

In not, let me offer one idea. Korean Air. Your DL points can be used for flights on Korean, and your Chase points can be converted to Korean points. DL will count routing via Asia as two awards (which actually may help you if your points are split between two accounts), but you can do it. KE will do it as one, I think.

You also might consider routing Ito bne, mel, or even ADL (if coming via Asia) to enter Australia. Syd has 9% more inbound intl traffic than it does outbound .... An odd anomaly....other ports may have etter availability. Domestic travel within Oz is easy, nice and inexpensive. (Most Australians will disagree, but compared to what you are used to in the US, you will agree!)

Here are some destination thoughts in Oz from my blog, too. http://www.sitinfirst.com/category/destinations/australia/

I hope you can sort something out. Is is a wonderful destination!

FlyingFree and PLUS_1 like this.
  3. Bhsu21

Bhsu21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi NYbanker. Thanks for your reply!

The DL points are in separate accounts. So about 120K each. You've given me lots to think about for sure.

I'll take a look at trying with Korean. We'd be okay to fly into other cities in Australia then making our way to Sydney. That's a good idea.

What's the best way to search reward tickets on Korean? Korean's website or another one?

4. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, if you plan on going down the KE award route with Delta miles be cognisant of the blackout dates. You can see a list of them here. I am taking the wife to Sydney in Sept and I used 300k Skymiles for tow KE business awards. It may be possible to use the Delta Skymiles to get one award in business and then transfer the Chase Reward points directly to KE for another.

PLUS_1 likes this.
  5. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    you can try virgin australia with your delta points too, especially now they show up in the delta.com search engine. but prepared to pay a lot of fuel surcharge taxes...

6. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, have you had any luck finding 2 mileage tix to Australia?

7. dshargorodsky

dshargorodsky Member

Status Points:
    Look into Virgin Australia redemptions in J, which cost 150,000 skymiles per person roundtrip. Taxes come out at about $500 a person. Availability isn't bad though.