Looking to go to Kona in the Fall via business or first if possible....

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by enichols22124, Jan 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This question is probably similar to one I asked last year, but would like to book two tickets to Kona. Last year, I happened to ride on the plane that goes from Phoenix to Kona, and saw that FC was not that great (was hoping for a lie flat), so I opted for a Coach instead, and it was fine. But, with the AA-USAir meger, I figured someone here is better than I am at figuring out .... is there an American plane that goes to Kona with a nicer first class. I've built up some points, so it might be worth it. This time, I'm flying from Tampa, if that makes any difference. I thought someone mentioned that there might be an LAX, but all the planes I see look to be the narrow body ones with the slightly more recline than Coach, but not a lie flat or an exceptional cabin. Am I missing it, or is that still about right?

2. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing lie flat with AA to from Hawaii afaik, that's in the 777-300ER only right now. 767's to/from Hawaii have the old J seat, inclined flat. They are giving out tablets now though, a huge upgrade over the old entertainment.

3. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why don't you look at the UA flights for EWR-HNL or IAD-HNL? These are lie flat seats and you can book them until US leaves star alliance. As far as I know, these are the only lie flat seats to/from Hawaii.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  4. enichols22124

Status Points:
    Thanks, I guess the AA to Kona at least have 40 degrees incline, better than the US airways ones....or I have to go through Honolulu for the 767's, I didn't see them on straight to Kona. I'll take a closer look at United, maybe that is the answer, although I guess they will charge for bags, but maybe not, I'm a Gold *Alliance, maybe that will still work even that late in the year if booked now....something to think about, thanks!

5. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are traveling on a business class ticket, you should get 2 bags free. I will double check my reservation and let you know.

6. enichols22124

Status Points:
    Really? United always treats me like crap as a US AIrways Elite. Last trip with United, My daughter was with me, she's a Silver, they wouldn't let her one bag free, even though we had bought the ticket before the new changes for Silvers (in which they lose their free bag status), so I had to declare it as MY bag and then they said I could not have 3 bags, only 2 bags, so I consolidated down to two bags (one was a little sack so this was easy), and then they stuck us all in the back of the plane, last seat, non-reclining. Lovely, thank you for your treatment of Star Alliance. It's probably me, but it's always last seat or in the worst spot unless I make a big stink and many times show my Gold card (they seem to think Its a Glitch, can you really be Gold, its weird). I would be glad if they took the bags as Business, but on an Award Ticket? I should check. Thanks for the tips. Just ranting a little :)

7. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't matter if it is an award ticket or not - if you are in Business First, you get to check 2 bags on the IAD or EWR to HNL flights.