Looking to book DEN-BIO with United miles. Directs are on LH. Is this possible?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by GreekDeno, Dec 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Expertflyer doesn't show awards on LH anymore (from what I've seen/read). I'd like to go business or first (only 15 days out?) on DEN-FRA and then FRA-BIO. United site doesn't show any (coach, business) directs to FRA from DEN-FRA or DEN-BIO, but does show FRA-BIO business availability when I look DEN-BIO. Should I assume that no LH award seats are available DEN-FRA? Any other suggestions? We're looking to get to San Sebastian so I can also use UA to get to LIS or CDG (or ?) and then train it.

Semi stupid question, but can/should I link my UA miles to LH miles & more? I've never signed up for miles & more account and have always used my UA miles for award tickets on *A.

As always, many thanks in advance.

2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH First class will be available (if they become available) only two weeks prior to departure date (for non-LH members). This will soon stop becoming available (from sometime early 2014), as LH seems to be planning to issue these awards only to their own upper-tier elites (see discussion on FT M&M forum).

You can look for availability from NYC / IAD airport (connect from DEN to NYC/IAD to Europe; then to BIO).
    If you are buying round-trip awards, then you can have an open-jaw and stopover.
    DEN-BIO (stopover) - LIS (destination) - DEN

You cannot really merge UA miles and LH miles, if thats what you are asking.
    You can collect LH miles by yourself if you want by flying UA. Whether thats a good thing or not depends on what you want to achieve with those miles. Getting Star Gold on LH is quite the uphill task.

GreekDeno likes this.
  3. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're looking around the 15th-17th, Expert Flyer is showing F6, F6 and F7 for the LH nonstop, and wide open in Biz. You probably saw this on UA.com, but there is availability on the 15th for 1 through IAD on UA and AC, and on the 16th for 2 through YYZ on AC, both connecting to the FRA-BIO flight. As a 1K, you can grab those, and make the free change if and when the direct becomes available.

When we went to San Sebastian, we flew to Madrid and took the train from there- it took 5+ hours since there is no high-speed AVE train to the Basque Country. There are only 2 direct trains; one leaves at 8 AM, and the other around 4 PM. Lisbon is about 13 hours. The train from Paris departs from Montparnasse, I believe, and not from the CDG TGV station. From there, it takes almost 7 hours, including a change in Hendaye to the slow train in Spain.

However you get there, San Sebastian is an amazing city! I would go back there in a heartbeat....

4. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering- is it legal to do your stopover by flying to FRA, then to BIO, then to LIS as the destination? Or would DEN-BIO (Destination) - LIS (stopover) - DEN be technically the way to do it so you don't violate any doubling back rules? I'm asking out of confusion (and probably ignorance) since I tried to do something like this once, and it wasn't a legal routing. I realize that I may have my facts mixed up, and every time I try to read the FT thread on stopovers and open jaws, it makes me a little woozy.

5. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I think so. FRA would just be a transit point where you are connecting. One can always look for connections in ZRH and MUC as well.
    The rules are so confusing for sure. I am no expert at it!!

6. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those same threads now point out that LH has explicitly stated that they will not be going the same route as LX when it comes to releasing award space to partners.

snod08 likes this.
  7. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    THat is AWESOME news!

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Albeit at a higher price going past February. :eek:

snod08 likes this.
  9. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, I think we just have to get used to the prices..

Just like how this year 450$ fares became the what-used-to-be 200$ fares

Flyer1976 likes this.
  10. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're not looking to go until June. Thanks for the feedback. I've heard it's great, but a week there is too long. Would you agree? This would be a honeymoon trip so looking for beach, culture, food, relax.

I was searching in the awards and upgrades section on expertflyer which doesn't show LH (why?), but looked at the flight availability section and saw the numbers you mentioned. Sure enough our dates in June are wide open in business, limited F. I couldn't get UA site to show it though for booking. I searched one way's from DEN-FRA on June, 8, 9, 10 and the only partner flights are on AC.

11. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    So true. I fly to ICT quite a bit and fares ranged from $250-350, but are now consistently over $450 since Frontier stopped flying direct. I guess it's simple supply/demand, but that's a tough price to pay for 500 miles.

12. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, I misread when you said 15 days out in your OP, but now I get it- I'm dense, but not thick! Expertflyer doesn't show *A award availability anymore, unfortunately.

So given your criteria of beach, culture, food and relax, San Sebastian hits all of those right in the bullseye. We spent 3 weeks there, and could have stayed longer. There are excellent places to visit in day trips from San Sebastian- Pamplona, Bilbao, Guernica, Tolosa, Biarritz, Bayonne, St. Jean de Luz- within an hour of the city. All are reachable by train or bus, but a car gives you a lot more flexibility, obviously. Within the city, there aren't a ton of tourist attractions per se, but it is a beautiful city, and a great place to relax and eat better than in most places on earth. There are also bike lanes throughout San Sebastian, and it is a lot of fun to explore the city on 2 wheels (and to pintxo hop that way).

Oh, and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!