looking to book 15-17 nights in FL Resort - promos..?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Gaucho, Oct 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Im looking to book 15-17 nights at an Orlando resort for Jan or Feb 2014... any promos I need to be aware of...? Would it make sense to check directly with the Resort sales department or will the SPG website have the best possible rate...?

Any advise and or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alex / Gaucho

2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bump !!!!

3. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my experience 15-17 nights won't be enough for a Sales Manager to offer you a good rate. Best bets would be the SPG website and check the opaque booking sites for the possibly of a Best Rate Guarantee Claim. Otherwise AAA might save a few bucks.

Gaucho likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much... may I ask, based on your experience, how many nights you would need at an SPG resort to get the attention of a Sales Manager...?

As an example, if you had a 17 stay for 2 (two) two bedroom Villas at a Resort like the Vistana Villages, would that be something "good enough" for a Sales Manager or would it have to be an even larger piece of business....?

Also, does the time of the year you are booking make a difference... ie. if you go during low season with a stay that would not normally get you the attention of a Manager, does the same stay during a very low part of the year get on their radar or not...?

Thank you for you assistance with this.... and appreciate your patience with my above multiple questions.

Cheers,
    Alex

5. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it matters how many nights you give them now. Most hotels are looking for future business they might be getting if you're bringing in employees in the future you're chance succeeding is a whole lot higher. I had a hotel that I was willing to give 100 nights they lowered their rate by $10, which was still more expensive then AAA.

It seems to be Vistana Villages is a Timeshare property so things will be different. I don't think they have to give you a lower rate since they have all the owners paying for operating expenses, but I would suggest you just call the property and ask if they willing to extend a deal to you. (Make sure to be clear you don't want to buy a timeshare otherwise they will try to sell you one)

I usually get offers sent to me with a low rate and the requirement to attend a timeshare presentation this might be a way to get a lower rates as well. Although I doubt they would extent this for 17 nights, but ask you never know what the answer will be.

Gaucho likes this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Roadwarrior.... appreciate you taking time to answer my questions.

I have heard about the timeshare sales pitch and the starpoint earning angle, didn't know that you could also maybe get a lower rate if you attended a sales thing.... maybe I do need to look into that. Depending on how long the sales "meeting" is, and what rate reduction they offer, I may look into this further.

Cheers,
    Alex

7. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to mention if you're willing to not earn any points. It might be a good idea to look at renting a unit directly from the owner usually the savings are quite good. There are several websites that offer that service. This one comes to mind since I have a friend that advertises his unit there.

Gaucho likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is indeed a dilemma..... I wish I could make a more informed decision. If I pay the SPG price, I would start off 2014 with 17 nights, so that does get me a good way into getting gold.... and with one more year of gold I would make lifetime Gold, for whatever that is worth. Also, do you know if owners can take credit cards as payment for rentals...??

Cheers,
    Alex

9. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed a dilemma! Personally I would go for the cash saving since I don't value Lifetime Gold that much, but that's you're decision.

If renting thru one of the websites I think you can pay with credit cards for most units.