Looking into new card

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by tgail323, Feb 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. tgail323

tgail323 Member

Status Points:
    Hi! I'm new to the site and thought that this will be a good spot to get some feedback on a credit card that earns well and redeems well for travel. I'm looking into getting a new card to use mainly for work travel so I would like it to earn on flights, food, and other travel needs. I did read some other posts that were similar to mine but some were older and/or looking for a card that earned on everyday things where I am currently interested in one that is great for travel expenses and earns you great travel benefits. Any suggestions? Thanks for reading!

satman40, jwsky and MSYgirl like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! :)

Some more information will garner better results from the credit card gurus. What airlines do you use or plan to use? What is your home airport, and what routes do you usually fly? Are you after saving up miles, upgrades, elite status, specific award redemptions, or just a big sign-up bonus?

satman40, tgail323 and WilliamQ like this.
  3. tgail323

tgail323 Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! Being new I'm still learning the ropes of this ;)

Let's see, I fly out of Logan Airport based in Boston, MA, for the majority of my work trips they are domestic and take me all over, there really is no one state that I frequent more than another since my conferences change locations all the time. I typically fly Delta or JetBlue. If I could get a great sign-up bonus that would be nice and I would like to be able to save up for flights and hotel stays. For instance when I've earned enough miles though Delta I usually use them for a flight for my husband or daughter. We also like to take weekend trips so that's why I would like one that is flexible and can be used for hotel stays as well. Would also like for it to be a no annual fee or a low priced one if its worth the benefits.

4. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    The spg card is great. You can transfer spg points into several partners. Spg points can be used for hotels as well.
    Besides for all the great amex benefits/protections...
    It has a pretty low annual fee: $65

satman40 and tgail323 like this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you restricted to one new card?
    Most of the time, if the situation allows, you should be better off getting a couple of cards and use them accordingly. E.g. if you fly Delta, get one of those Delta cards. And for Hotel stays, get the co-brand card of the chain you frequent
    This is because (usually) when spending under those brands / category or co-branded CC, you get additional points or miles which can be anywhere from 3x to 10x of the usual earnings.

6. tgail323

tgail323 Member

Status Points:
    No not restricted to just one, that is an idea I'll have to look into some more!

satman40 and WilliamQ like this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to mention that some co-brand cards also comes with status as well which would make everything easier (to a certain extend). :)

Meanwhile, welcome to MP!

8. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are looking into just one card, I would add the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It comes with a very good bonus and the points are VERY flexible. I have used them to fly first class on United Airlines, Stay at really nice Hyatt properties, and fly British Airways. The points are also very easy to accumulate because you get 2X points on dining and travel expenses. With the card, you also get access to a shopping portal which if utilized properly can earn a lot of points (Kohls 10X bonus per $ spent). The 7% annual dividend you earn on all points also helps offset the annual fee. Other cards such as the SPG card are great, (I have this card as well) but the points can be hard to earn unless you are spending big money, which you might be….

So for a good all-around card, I would highly suggest the Chase SP. It was the first card I signed up for and I find it to be my go-to card. I realized basically all of my "everyday" purchases are either food or travel :D

9. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    The obvious first cards to recommend are:

- The Chase Sapphire Preferred. Great all round card. 2X earnings on travel of all kinds. Biggest issue is the points earned can only be transferred to a limited set of partners, the most obvious ones being United and Hyatt. If you are looking to do a lot of flying on American Airlines or stay at a lot of Sheraton hotels, then this may not be the (only) card for you.

- The Barclay Arrival card. Nice signup bonus. Very flexible redemption. I think its roughly 2X everywhere.

- The Amex SPG. Okay signup bonus, no bonus categories except for Sheraton stays, but great list of transfer partners, with a 25% bonus for airline transfers in blocks of 20k.

Pick one or all of the above to start with. Another option though would be a cash back card like Fidelity, if you want ultimate flexibility. Won't have the multipliers for stays/flights on individual airlines/hotels that more specialized points/miles cards will though.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    satman40 likes this.
  10. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe the third card on the list you are referring to is the amex spg card.

satman40 and gconnery like this.
  11. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jeez, fixed. Thanks for pointing out the mistake.

satman40 likes this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like US Air, 40k on the sign up, 1 lounge visit, and a $99 CP,

Soon to join AA, so the CP goes with AA, and can churn.

SPG a little slow on the churn, CSP is nice,

Depends on who you want to fly with...

I open go out UA only to return AA.

Best time, and route.,both good rides..