Looking for US Airways credit card holder to gift 50k miles

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by keepinitsimple, Apr 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi

I have currently put on hold 2 an award itinerary

Are there 2 USAirways credit card holders who are willing to gift xk miles using the 50% off promotion? I will transfer xxx USD (yyy USD is what it will cost you to pay b credit card) via paypal and you can gift me the miles. Will bear all paypal txn fees.

Pls PM me if you are willing to help out. Thanks.

UPDATE: Edited to clarify that I need 2 sets of gifting of xk miles each
    UPDATE: Paid via paypal and got 1st set of miles. Looking for a 2nd USAir card holder
    UPDATE: Removed routing info
    UPDATE: Removed miles amount and amounts to anonymize

2. Good luck finding a partner!

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think US Airways had a promo until 5/14 where you could share miles with a 75% bonus. If you have 90k but need 120k, all you should need is someone that will share 18k with you, with the 13,500 bonus that will give you 31,500.

The cost for that as per the US Airways site is $180.

4. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did not specify it in my original post. I have 2 accounts which I need to topup. So this sharing will not work.

UPDATE: Removed award details

5. Hi,
    I also would like to ask if someone is willing to gift me 50k miles with his US Airways Creditcard? I could pay by paypal.
    thanks for your help! You can send me a PM.

6. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

Status Points:
    UPDATE: Removed routing info

7. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I disagree with this thread. Helping others is fine but for my personal tastes this amounts to begging. If someone's willing to provide assistance that's fantastic. Blatantly asking isn't very classy though, again in my personal opinion only.

worldtraveller2 and desert_gecko like this.
  8. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Begging is asking for 50k miles without payment.

This is a request to help out with their time, as the miles amount is credited to them via paypal before the gifting. an added bonus is that card holder might also get DM miles for using their card and meet some spending threshold if it is a new card.

Next time you blatantly ask for help on any ff question on mp or ft, ask whether it is begging. Again this is a personal opinion.

mcruiser likes this.
  9. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't see the potential DM miles as reasonable quid pro quo. You're asking someone to use their time and buy/gift opportunity for your personal gain and compensating them face value more or less. Something more for that time and effort would be what I would expect (especially given the risk of account audits though I suspect we never got all the facts of those incidents last year). But that's the beauty of opinions - everyone can have a different one and you've obviously found at least one taker so far. I do hope you find another before your hold expires.

There's a difference between asking for help on a forum designed for the sharing of information and asking someone to provide a tangible benefit in exchange for some type of reimbursement. I feel that this request would find a best fit in FT's Coupon Connection forum. Granted there isn't such a forum here (I don't think) and it also gets more direct visibility from US DM card holders in the US forums than elsewhere.

Please note I'm not attacking you. I'm expressing my thoughts on your request and I'm certain some others feel similarly - which is why I felt compelled to say something. Obviously others still will feel the exact opposite.

10. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those who weren't around for last spring's set of audits after buy/share/gift, I'd recommend keeping all transactions involving multiple, unrelated accounts as discreet as possible, especially those involving accounts that are recently opened and those that have no actual BIS miles on US. It seems that accounts outside the US, that share/gift to/form multiple similar accounts then quickly redeem for premium cabin International travel were the most likely to catch attention of the Auditors. There are stories of people showing up at airports and having their tickets voided, accounts being locked/suspended, and similar woe.

Not meant to be a reflection on the OP at all. In general, though, with such good miles promos and good redemption values, the US auditors are watching for red flags. If it costs a bit more to get the mileage needed for an award but keeps you off of the auditors' radar, then it may be money well spent.

11. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Aware of the audits. In my case it is a legitimate account. The award ticket is also issued in the name of the account holder. From what I understand the main issue last spring was people opened multiple accounts under fictitious names to buy the promos, and then turned around and issued tickets in the name of somebody else.

Also planning a trip or 2 in US Airways once we get to the US. And credit some *A flying to USAir.

12. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would be the first to agree that this is something that fits more into a help-wanted/coupon-connection kind of forum.

But that was not the the point of discussion that you had raised. It is whether as you put it - the request constitutes "blatant begging without class". To which my reply was an unequivocal no.

mcruiser likes this.
  13. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    While you may be 100% legit, knowing the red flags can still be useful because many legit people have activity history that forms the same pattern that the auditors are looking for. The audit process, from what I understand, isn't very transparent. And the lack of transparency makes it harder to avoid the red-flag patterns. What they're really looking for are patterns that indicate the account holder is committing fraud, primarily by buying miles and charging others for booking the award tickets. For US DM members, a sanity check every now and then never hurts; heck, what I hear about AA's Revenue Management team would make me check myself even more often!

I fly on US a lot, as does my boyfriend; we frequently redeem for international business class, sometimes for ourselves (either 2 tickets from one account or one ticket from each); we book paid travel together frequently, sometimes on the same PNR, sometimes same itinerary but different PNR; we buy award tickets for friends and family, almost always in J, almost always without us (they're coming to visit), and almost never with the same last name as ours. We gift and share every now and then. And we've never had a problem. But I do review our accounts every six months or so and see if we've deviated from our patterns, just in case. Revenue Protection is a very real thing and I don't want to give them anything to mis-interpret. I try to limit the "others" in my account (ie trading grand slam hits or buying miles for people then getting them awards). I'm also aware that anyone can find these forums and I don't post stuff in public if there's any chance, no matter how remote, that it can be mis-construed as fraud and tracked back to me.

14. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Understood. I still feel the same though. Not saying you have no class since I know nothing of you, only that the request for someone's time and effort with little incentive is low-class begging.

And we can disagree all day long, so I'll say no more about it.