Looking for suggestions on places to stay in HK

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Singapore Flyer, Sep 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My family of 7 - wife, three kids, and my parents are taking a vacation together. Spending 3 nights in HKG. This is the first time we are going together. My folks haven't been back in years. I have read the many reports on the hotels in HK on this forum and others. Everyone raves about many of the higher end hotels, they all seem to be in out of the way locations or on HK Island - yes, HK is small and so is Singapore, but there are still location factors to consider with kids and just things to do. We have never stayed at any chain hotel the other times we've been there (We loved the location of Royal Plaza in Mongkok East station). Our preference is Kowloon. HK Island just is not convenient at all IMO for food, general touristy things and walking around. The local and independent hotels are running close to $200-$400 a night at least (for the amount of rooms we need) and I have a decent amount of points in all the major chains - Thanks Chase, Citi and Amex.

It seems like either the Sheraton Towers or HI Golden Mile and Hyatt Regency are the best choices. Are there other suggestions? We would consider a non-chain too if the price point is cheap enough that it makes sense, though having a lounge with kids to get drinks and snacks back to the room is a nice perk. I have gold status on SPG, Diamond on Hyatt, Platinum on Marriott and not interested in Conrad even with Diamond status, though a bear would be nice. :p

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Sheraton is well located, but it's basically just an older big convention-type hotel, with the Towers being bit better. On the other side of the Peninsula is the YMCA hotel, which IIRC now has a different name. about a block farther back from the water is one of the Langham properties, but I get them mixed up. Almost next door to it is a boutique hotel at the top of a shopping complex in a historic building, almost across the street from the ferry terminal; it looks interesting. I think the modern hotel right on the water is currently flagged as the IC; it seems to have been renovated a bit recently, although when I was last in Hong Kong, there was still a lot of construction around it. These are the other choices near the Sheraton; all are well located.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    HI Golden Mile is not the worse choice but you can sometimes get a similar rate at IC Grand Stanford which is better

most hotels in HK are fairly well-run in general

I have friends who love L'Nina but it is far out in Tsuen Wan, rooms were nice and affordable, better option than Panda Hotel if going to Disney

whatever your choice book ASAP, prices will likely only go up

4. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would agree that the Sheraton would be a great place to stay, let us know what you decide. I have heard of some great things about The T Hotel in HK, being value for money, although I'm unsure on prices!

5. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. My wife reminded me that we do have status with Langham 1865. She is staying at the Langham Place Mongkok there for a business trip for 10 days next month. She is going to ask if they have any specials/promos. Checking the prices online now, they are pretty comparable to Royal Park Plaza with an even better location at Argyle and Shanghai street almost above Mongkok MTR station. That may be the choice to go with...either way, will report back.

6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Langham Place Mongkok has great food court. I never stayed there. From touristy/foody places Kowloon is as good as any. There is night market near Mongkok and HI also had a very decent restaurant attached to it.