Looking for suggestions - Asia, Australia (or both) for 10th Anniversary in 2015?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by wizzy, Feb 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. wizzy

wizzy Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a long ways off (we'd likely go in mid-November 2015), but I wanted to solicit advice from others. This will be a once-in a lifetime trip (and likely the last major trip without the kids for quite some time!) so I'd like to maximize the experiences.

My wife has given me free reign on planning the trip. Max duration will be two weeks, but I'd prefer if it was closer to 10-12 days.

I was originally envisioning US->Thailand->Australia (or the inverse), but my wife has expressed concerns about spending another day on a plane in the middle of our trip. I'll likely fold on this lofty idea, but I am curious as to what others think regarding the itinerary. We'll have to connect to any gateway city, so have to figure that in. My wife hasn't been to either continent, I've been to Singapore but that's it for Asia.

If we go to only Asia or Australia, I'd look to visit two areas (eg. Bangkok and Phuket, Bangkok and Hong Kong, Sydney and somewhere else, Sydney and New Zealand). We'll be flying J (F, if I can find it) on points. I've got 500k UA miles (too bad about the recent devaluation), 220k AA miles, 300k DL miles, 140k Amex, 800k SPG, 275k Hyatt (at least DL and SPG will go up between now and then) to play with. Looking for flights and hotels to be covered with points, with the exception of local flights that just can't be avoided.

I realize this question is very broad, and a long way off, but I'd appreciate any and all input in helping me narrow down our trip!

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have more than enough UA points to do this entire trip in J from USA to Australia via Thailand with a free stopover.

Thai flies to a lot of destinations in OZ so that should help you considerably.

One idea is that you could fly to Australia first then do Thailand on your way back?

satman40 likes this.
  3. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in Australia in November using USAir miles (110k for J) and did the long way round - in via Asia and back via Europe. My ticket was PHL/ORD/ICN/SIN/MEL/BKK/CDG/PHL -I flew on OZ, SIN, Thai and US (the LH was changed due to strike) -from BKK I flew A380 to Paris. I booked this three months out but you have enough time to get direct flights.
    With three flights to MEL I was able to ease into time change so I didn't have problems in Australia.

For that time of year, first visit and time away, I'd do Sydney and Melbourne. New Zealand is an amazing place too-I spent 10 days on South Island alone on past Nov trip and feel you can't rush travel there. I had almost a month away on both visits.

I have some of my Sydney/Melbourne posts up on my blog (same as user name)

satman40 likes this.
  4. wizzy

wizzy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it realistic to pull off a US-Asia-Australia in one fell swoop, or are we going to want to break it up in the middle?

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, stopping at one or the other is "breaking it up". The bigger question is if the itinerary makes sense. You are will be choosing much more precise destinations than Asia or Australia in the end, and that will determine what makes sense. You can certainly enjoy a vacation at either or both, and clearly will not experience the bulk of either on one short vacation.

Personally I do not find an overnight flight mid-vacation at all objectionable, but for moderate-length vacations want to be careful about eating up full vacation days to travel.

I did consider a few beach days in Bali of Thailand on a recent Australia vacation of similar length, but instead chose 3 destinations in Australia (and also passed up many additional). The Australia - only award took more skymiles but was the right choice for us. Sydney, the great barrier reef, and kakadu were all worthy destinations.

satman40 and philatravelgirl like this.
  6. dannyjacob

dannyjacob Member

Status Points:
    I would lean to Australia (Sydney in particular) and New Zealand for what I did enjoy in the both countries few years ago. Bangkok is a fascinating city, but it easily tends to fluctuate, especially in terms of politics and social unrest.

satman40 likes this.
  7. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a fan of Asia, but I've never been to Australia, and friends went recently and said that Sydney was one of their favorite destinations and would very easily go back (they had also been to Hong Kong and Bali in the same trip) but if you do have 10-12 days as much as people might advise doing both trips, I think Bangkok>Hong Kong is a good idea, but both big cities, it depends if you want a change of scene, as Bangkok>Phuket would provide you with a bustling city and a great beach, what would you prefer? Australia has the the benefit of having many cities with beaches right beside them (Sydney e.g.) so you could just travel Australia and go to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth?

satman40 likes this.
  8. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    perhaps you could elaborate on what you hope to see or do in Australia ? that may help narrow the recommendations. Blue Mountains is near Sydney and would be an awesome choice for scenery in my view...:p

satman40 likes this.
  9. wizzy

wizzy Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be honest, we haven't gotten that far. This is just planning from a 100k foot level. We have an interest in both geographies, so I wanted to work through some of the logistical considerations first, and then start fine tuning based on Asia vs Australia.

satman40 likes this.
  10. AmandaWright

AmandaWright New Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend you to visit Australia and its nearby islands. These South Pacific Islands are one of the amazing lands packed with natural beauty and adventure. Gift your wife a unique trip this anniversary. Islands like Fiji and Solomon attract adventure lovers and are also famous for romantic getaways.. You can also enjoy leisure accommodation with hotels and resorts like http://www.solomonislandsresorts.com/. Hope you plan a great vacation together. Enjoy!

satman40 likes this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd pick only one, that is a lot of travel time, and body adjusting.

Both are good choices.

12. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    agree, if all you have are 10-12 days, perhaps one out of the two places would be great..otherwise, may spend a tad too much time getting from one place to another ?:)